Smith & Wesson 64-2

superpelly

I can get a 64-2 snub nose for 500.00 ( California Dept of Correction)

Private buyer-- No Taxes , no background fees etc....

Just wondering what the going prices are these days.

Thanks

unclenunzie

I couldn't say what today's prices are, but if it is in very good condition I myself would buy it.

Had a snub 64-2 for a while to keep safe for a friend, she would not part with it being her brother's who passed.

stinkeypete

Those CDC guns were selling for $250ish around 2010 if that matters.
It’s a 2” stainless k frame which means it’s going to be harder for concealing but much happy at the range. Except it’s a snub nose so isn’t going to drive tacks at 50 feet. It’s stainless which means it’s easy to keep looking new but will never have the bluing that us Ruger guys look at with jealousy.

Before the whole pandemic Gun buying panic I was seeing some pristine blued S&W .38s in the $650 range which nearly got my money. Everything is sold out now in the private markets and the beat up old blued Smith beaters at the big box stores are marked up to $350 from $250 last year.

I don’t think it’s a great deal but if it’s in nice condition with good wood and a trigger you like and you want it you will get many years of enjoyment out of it. I predict you will be able to sell or trade it in 10 year for at least what you paid for it. If you like it, it’s worth what you pay for it! See if the seller can throw in ammunition, holster, dies, .38 bronze brushes, some other things to sweeten the deal for your $500. Rather than haggle over price, haggle over value. When I sell a gun, if I like the buyer and it’s a smooth transaction, I usually have associated Knick-knacks that another fella might like but are a bother to e-bay.

If you like it and it’s not trashed, it may be a fair deal for you.

There is a link somewhere for a revolver inspection checklist... Anyone have that handy?

Last edited:

44 AMP

Staff
Except it’s a snub nose so isn’t going to drive tacks at 50 feet.

With a good shooter, a good gun and good ammo you'd be surprised what can be done even with a "snubnose"...

Maybe THAT gun won't, or maybe you can't, but to claim a snubnose can't just because tis a snubnose is ...short sighted..:rolleyes:

Carmady

The pinned barrel and big logo on the sideplate are worth $200. (assuming it has them)

I wouldn't call $500 a great deal, but if you like it and it checks out it's worth it.

I paid about $475 and 2 hour trip for my 2" Model 10 a couple of years ago, and have no regrets. It'll be my .38 as long as I'm alive.

arquebus357

I used to discard snub nose because I felt the accuracy would not be acceptable. Then I watched a youtube video of Hickok45 whacking his 80 yard gong over and over with a 2 inch barrel revolver.

superpelly

Well here it is. Came with a Hunter holster and a set of Pachmayr grips brand new in package. I got him down to 475.00

Its in really great condition. Not fired a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1007.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

105kw

Very nice revolver.
I've always liked the K frame short barrel guns. They are a little harder to conceal, but they are easier to shoot accurately IMO. They are pretty durable too.

shurshot

Any used LEO revolver needs to be inspected carefully, as there was always that one person who would continuously snap the cylinder shut to look cool, like a TV cop.

Check the cylinder / crane for tightness, solid lock up, etc. Expect some dings, these were worn as tools and likely treated as such. Some LEO trade in's are quite rough, others mint, most somewhere in between.

Given it's 2020, almost 2021, with an anti gun agenda driven Administration taking over, in the middle of a global pandemic, and apparently Aliens are among us according to NBC... for a good condition .38 64 S&W, I think it's worth $500 all day long! :D

Last edited:

T. O'Heir

One of 'em sold on iCollector, in December of 2019, for $300Cdn. 2" revolvers are considered excessively evil here. They're virtually worthless as they require a special permit.
sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com says a Cop trade in 3" M64 is worth $429.99.
Anyway, other California Dept of Correction 64's are said to be in used but OK condition. Like shurshot says, LEO surplus stuff gets carried a lot, used and cared for little.
Kind of makes you wonder why the California Dept of Correction issued 2" revolvers.

shurshot

"Kind of makes you wonder why the California Dept of Correction issued 2" revolvers."

Most likely California DOC issued 2" snub nosed revolvers to Probation & Parole Officers for concealed carry in the community, undercover surveillance during escapes, Warrant arrests, extraditions and investigations, Court hearings, etc. All plain clothes work.

Regular uniformed Guards at Prisons / Jails / Transport teams & perimeter patrol (in most states anyhow), carried 4" revolvers back in the day. Possibly someone from California will chime in?

Last edited:

superpelly

Yeah, I was very Hesitant on buying this gun until I Thoroughly went through it. ( Law enforcement issue) This gun was not over used or abused. I learned some techniques from youtube (GunBlue490) and others what to look for on buying a used a Smith.

I have a smith model 13-1, that I practice on ( a lot ) on complete disassembly. So I kind of know what to look for. ( I think!)