Smith & Wesson 637 Airweight vs. Taurus 85 Ultralite

wolverine350

I am debating on getting me a snubbie 38 the two i am looking at are Smith & Wesson model 637 Airweight Stainless and Taurus 85 Ultralite:confused:

HuntAndFish

If those are your choices you are gonna be a happy guy.

I have a 642 and an 85 SSUL. Comparing the two:

1) Price - Taurus is slightly less.
2) Shooting - very similiar both handle +P loads.
3) Trigger - S&W is slightly better.
4) Repairs - My 642 had the cylinder locking bolt pin fall out and was repaired free after about 300 rounds. The 85's cylinder release popped off and was fixed free after about 150 rounds. The point is that problems can happen with either, but the service was good.
5) Grips - I like both stock grips. Roughly the same.
6) Carry - The S&W is just a little lighter and smaller so I usually carry it. But the Taurus is good too. Slight edge to the S&W.

ShootemDown

I have problem with 637, but the shipping to SW is free. I think shipping to taurus you have to pay yourself.

BOTH have lifetime free repair policies.

I would give the edge to the S&W 637 quality wise. I have nothing against Taurus and own a few of them but would prefer the Smith. I like the looks of them better too. I prefer the exposed ejector rod of the Smith as opposed to the shrouded on on the Taurus.

SWm637.jpg

wolverine350

they both sound like pretty decent guns, Taurus is at 60.00 cheaper than the smith and both do carry lifetime service policys, just a decision i have to make :rolleyes:

ShootemDown

Taurus says : All firearms must be shipped prepaid to our factory in Miami, Florida for repair, and must be accompanied by a Work Order.

SW sends me a free label, if over your life, you send it back twice, the price difference dissappears.

klcmschlesinger

My price difference is bigger...

My local gun shop has the Taurus for $375 and the Smith for $499. That tends to lean me towards the taurus and I am looking at the exact same two guns. Are these prices out of whack in any way?

USPshooter

I'm inpatiently waiting on my FFL dealer to call me (hopefully tomorrow) and let me know that my 637 has arrived. Here in Oklahoma City, they go for about $379-$389 depending on which store you buy from. I couldn't tell ya on the Taurus.

oldcars

I had a 637 and regret selling it. I vote for the Smith, resale will always be there, and it will be easier to find parts, grips, ect.

Servo77

Anyone have problems with the smith lock in the airweights? +P 38's have a decent amount of recoil for such a light gun.

What's the grip material on that 637? Looks nice, classy.
Here in MI I've noticed Taurus to be a great buy, particularly with certain dealers, and S&W to be much higher than what you guys are paying for a new 637. Years ago I used to see the 3rd gen autos going for MSRP, roughly the same price as comparable Sigs. The autos have no resale here though, used to see peices in exc. condition between 3-400. The wheelguns seemed to retain much more value.
Have for years thought about getting a 442 but will probably get a Taurus CIA instead one of these days(a couple other guns I want/need more), a .357 though. I liked the 905 IB I handled, just wish it came with a concealed hammer/dao lockwork in the Centennial/CIA style. One thing I always liked about Taurus as a company, was the large selection of calibers, paricularly when it came to their Ti snubs (.45 LC,.45 ACP,.41 Mag,.44 spl.,7 shot .357 in medium frame, 9mm, .40 S&W, etc.). That, and the price is right. The 85 MULTI I shot was a hell of a gun, I just prefer the high backstrap feel on the CIA (and defensive capabilities not possible with traditional handgun designs).

In your case can't think of a good reason not to get the Smith, as you will have resale value there, and a brand steeped in American history. Around here it would prolly be a price gap of 200 or even more, but if it's only 60. more it would kind of be silly to not choose the S&W, and that is to take nothing away from Taurus. To save 60. is a big deal to me and would normally be a big factor in selecting,(if I was really on the fence and would be happy with either) but look at the deal you're getting. I almost guarantee you couldn't find that revolver for under 500 in these parts.

What I'd really like is a Colt snub, either a pre-70 Dick Special or the other way and obtain a Magnum Carry, but those are just to expensive for me, and too valuable to actually use. Still my muscle memory from having an Anaconda says to open a cylinder, pull back, not push forward. Harder to get used to than it sounds.

Kreyzhorse

I own a 637 and owned a Taurus 85. The Taurus was my first attempt at owning a snub and it locked up after 250 rounds or so. I no longer own it and it was replaced with the 637. In my opinion, you get what you pay for and I didn't get much from my Taurus.

Lots of people have had better experience with Taurus, but I learned a lesson with that company and can't recommend them. My Smith on the other hand has, been flawless since day one.

JKump

Here is a vote for the Taurus. Mine was issued to me by my department as a back up gun. It was second hand and the first officer carried it in an ankle holster and did not clean it often. I got it and cleaned it up and it has not let me down at the range. It shoots accurate for close range self defense and mine has always gone bang. I would recommend this little gun to anyone. IMHO, For the price it beats out the Smith and I don't see where the Smith is any better.:)

ShootemDown

My Smith on the other hand has, been flawless since day one.

If only I was as lucky as you. my 637 all sorts of problems, see my thread, "637 locked up" it is being fixed now at S&W..

kinda goes to show, brand dont really mean consistant quality or performance..

kcshooter

From what I've seen, both have had many more great revolvers than problems. I've got a Smith model 19 and a Taurus 651. Haven't had an issue from either one. Both have a lifetime warranty. The price difference should be about $80-120. Try both in your hand, if you don't see a difference, I'd get the Taurus and put the extra $100 downrange.
Personally, I hate the airweight/ultralights. Make mine steel, thank you.