Smith & Wesson .357 Pre 27

glassguy

P1030284_edited-4.jpgI have a .357 Smith & Wesson that I believe is a pre model 27. On the left side of the barrel is stamped "Smith & Wesson", on the right side "S&W 357 Magnum". The barrel measures 3.5" from the front of the cylinder to the tip of the barrel. SN# 79*** is stamped in the recessed groove that the ejector rod lays in when the cylinder is closed. Also in this groove and to the left of the SN is a stamped letter "S". On the main frame and the portion of the frame that swings out with the cylinder are stamped 29**. These stampings are only visible when the cylinder is pivoted out. The overall finish is quite good save for some holster wear on some of the high points. I believe that this might just be a fairly valuable gun. I have shot it once and the trigger is probably the best that I have ever seen. I am trying to determine a value for resale and would sure appreciate some feed back. Thanks, Steve

Last edited:

SaxonPig

The S is part of the serial. S79xxx is a 357 Magnum from around 1950. Becomes the 27 in 1957.

I have one in nickel S79680 shipped 9/20/50.

standard.jpg

glassguy

I kind of got the hang of posting an image. You have to click on the link in my post to view it. And blue is a nice finish but I really like nickel. Any idea what I should ask for it? Thanks for the reply, S

Bart Noir

To me, here in WA State (the real Washington) such a gun with a rather poor reblueing but excellent metal (screws without blemish, no rust pits, no scratchs etc) was worth $600.

It was worth this last week. I state this because that is what I paid for it.

I fired it yesterday and it is a great gun. The chambers are polished so smooth that the fired .357 cases just drop out when the muzzle is lifted.

With that wonderful S&W polish still mostly in existence, the pictured gun is worth hundreds more than I paid.

Bart Noir

Bob Wright

I'd put $1100 on the gun but that would allow some dickering. I'd expect $900 ~ $1000 from a collector, depending on condition.

By the way, only the serial number on the frame is the serial number.

Bob Wright

SaxonPig

The stocks are 1952-56 "non relieved diamond targets" and will sell for about $250 any day of the week.

I am not an expert but my gut feeling is the gun has been refinished. This means no serious collector will be interested. but it still a desirable model and the 3.5" barrel is what all the boys want. If I were selling this gun as is, with those stocks on it, I would ask $900. I would not take less than $800.

Truth is, I have never sold a 3.5 27 or pre-model 357 Magnum. Now that I think about it, I have never sold one of any barrel length. They just keep piling up in the safes. Were this gun mine I would put those stocks on another gun with a longer barrel (I hate targets on the short guns) put on a set of correct Magnas and shoot the hell out of it.

glassguy

As far as the finish is concerned, you may be right but I got this from the original buyer, a personal friend, an I don't think he would have spent the money on it. I believe he was a deputy in the 50's and I believe that he bought this as a new gun. Interesting though on the grips, I have assumed they were stock. Thanks for the replies.

Old Stony

From the one pic, I would say it's original finish. It's hard to critique something from a distance with only one pic to go by. The cylinder doesn't appear to have been buffed any as the cuts are clean and sharp.
I would value it higher than previously mentioned, and figure it in the 1,400-1,600 range. I have seen stocks such as those bring closer to the 500.00 mark if in pristine condition. Lots of guys put the larger stocks on their Smith revolvers in those days. If a guy were to find a nice set of original smaller stocks for a couple hundred, you could put those on ebay and get a surprise at how much they would bring.
You have a nice, sought after revolver. It can only get more valuable over time if you should wish to keep it for investment.

glassguy

Old Stony, you're starting to make me feel bad about selling it. As a matter of fact, I have kicked myself more than once for each gun that I have ever sold. I will probably take it to a local gun show this weekend and see what comes of it. If someone offers me crazy money I will probably part with it but I don't NEED to sell it, it is just that I am more interested in utilitarian weapons than collectibles. If my EDC picks up a little rust from sweat or the salty, damp environment where I live, I look at it like it is a tool to be used and that kind of thing happens some times. If this revolver picked up any rust it would surely affect the value. Thanks to all for your input, G

Old Stony

That is one of the guns you will lament selling some day. You don't run into something like that everyday and chances are you won't ever replace it. That is a good one to pass down to the grandkids someday.