Smith & Wesson 27-2 N Frame 8 3/4 "

Master Blaster

I saw a S&W .357 model 27-2 with a pinned barrel and recessed chambers, it had a diamond checkered walnut grip, target trigger and hammer. The top strap ? between the front and rear sight was diamond checkered The gun was around 30+ years old.

The bluing was the most perfect deep mirror finish I have ever seen on a gun. Having only ever owned blued rugers it surprised me how beautiful the finish was on this revolver.

The gun appeared to be brand new in every way, no scratches or wear but the gun was over 30 years old according to the shop owner.
The trigger is amazing!

The model 27-2 has an 8 3/4" target barrel and it is a tapered barrel. The target sight has never had a screw driver on it.

The gun was flawless and only $349, the shop owner said it was from an estate sale and the gun was in the gun safe for 30 years, probably only fired 1 time because the owner whom he knew owned a vast collection.

Is this a rare find in a good gun how was S&W quality in 1967?

I want a target gun would this be a good first revolver for me?

------------------
Master Blaster

Mikie

Definitely buy it. 4 weeks ago I bought a used SW 27 4" for $300. It also was in mint condition, no index marks on the cylinder, recessed chambers, perfect bluing, TT&TH, Goncalo Alves grips. The trigger is like my 19 was when it was new, a little stiff, but one I would be glad to break in.

I didn't even know they made an 8 3/4 27!!! You have a great find!!

------------------

jimmy

Wow, I'd go for it in half a second!

BTW, it's been years since I've seen a Model 27 in that barrel length. Even with a length of 8+ inches, the Model 27's tapered barrel retains a balance and a graceful appearance that no other revolver can equal, IMHO.

Master Blaster

I was torn between the model 27-2 and a colt
king cobra (about 10 years old) 6" in stainless steel, the colt had visible wear and the cylinder spun off center (wobbled when spun free) for $399.

I own six semi autos and no revlovers.

I was also tempted by a brand new SS 686 6".
The newer guns do not have the feel of craftsmanship that the old 27-2 has, the ss finish on a new smith 686 looks like it was rubbed halfheartedly with coarse steel wool.

you will be glad to know that I bought the 27-2 8 3/4" for $349. My wife will kill me with it when she finds out! Just kidding I will get a dirty look and then she will outshoot me with it the next time we go to the range.

I took it to the range right after I bought it and fired .38 special lrn and .357 pmc jhp thorugh it. I was amazed at the accuracy, and the lack of recoil even with the .357 mag loads.

I have a question for revolver experts out there is it better to shoot LRN or FMJ in this gun?

When I told the shop owner I was going to take it to the range he checked lubbed and greased the rachet and ran a couple of patches down the barrel (the gun was already spotless). I did not get a manual and I want to know all the ins and outs of maintenance is there a good resource on the net?

Thanks.

------------------
Master Blaster

Guy B. Meredith

For hot loads you will want the copper plate FMJ unless you like cleaning up the lead. (I would be curious to know whether the copper bullets or the lead removal do more wear.)

For target lead will be fine. Many like the semi-wadcutters as they shoot well and make crisp holes. It's rough figuring how many rounds formed a group hole with LRN as it sort of shreds rather than cuts.

I sincerely envy your acquisition.

Paul B.

Guy. The copper jacketed stuff will cause more wear. You can shoot lead bullets at high velocity without leading problems if the bullet is hard enough. I shoot 150 gr. plain base lead bullets at 1400 plus FPS with only a trace of leading, and that brushes out easily.
I just picked up a 27-3 with 6 inch barrel that has been super tuned. My lead load put the first 3 shots into a group the size of a nickel, and the next 2 blew it. Final group was 1.5 inches. That's the best group I have ever fired with a handgun at 25 yards. That one is a keeper for sure.
Paul B.

Master Blaster

The barrel is 8 3/8" not 3/4 as I had previously stated (I measured it 8 3/8")
I called S&W and gave them the serial number and they told me it was made between 01/01/1966 and 01/01/1967. The model I bought with the checkered instead of grooved sight rib and the walnut grip was the top model, and was a popular gun in its day.

I asked if the workmanship and quality was better back then and of course they said all S&W have the finest quality and workmanship.

Thanks for the advice on ammo I think Iwill use lead bullets in .38 special for most practice, since it was what the gun was designed for. Is UMC a decent quality lead ammo? What do you recommend it has to be readily avail and not too expensive.

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
I must disagree with the others on this thread.

DON'T buy this gun!
Now, where did you say it was again? ;)

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

jimmy

Yes, with its finely checkered barrel rib and topstrap, the Model 27 was, in its day, the flagship of the Smith & Wesson line. I don't think that even the Model 29 ever surpassed it.

I understand that the 27 (and, for that matter, the 29) has been discontined, which makes your purchase all the more interesting. For any future collecting purposes, I'd like to suggest TLC for your Model 27, and also that it not be modified from its original factory configuration.

Master Blaster

There is one down side to this fine gun that is the 8 3/8" barrel length.

Maybe this is a plus any women who see me carrying it tucked in a waist band will think I'm just glad to see them.

The barrel is shorter than the one the joker (jack nicholson) pulled from his pants and shot at batman in the 1st movie.

Any bad guy who confronts me in my home will be sooo scared when he sees that barrel pointed in his direction there will be no need to fire. The bg will run or beg for his life.

Do they make a holster long enough for this gun? I did try it in a mexican IWB rig
and it does work as well as enhance my physique.

Master Blaster

I will have to get targets with a smaller x ring than the 50 yd slow fire rifle targets.

Its just too easy to align the sights and hit bullseyes at 25 yards!!!!!

Seriously I would appreciate any advice on factory ammo lead or jacketed?
PMC
UMC
Winchester White Box
Speer
Any opinions?

------------------
Master Blaster

Reddog

Blaster, I recently bought a 27-2 identical to yours except it was slightly used. It has a two pound trigger and is very accurate. I load a 148 gr., cast lead, full wadcutter to about 750 fps. Since you don't reload, you should be able to buy "Mid Range Target Loads" instead. Any well known brand called by that name should be O.K.. I have $290 in mine and wouldn't take $500 for it. It may not be worth that much, but I like it that much. I shoot in a Bullseye league and it's perfect for that. Reddog

Mikie

Guys what is the significance of the second digit in the model number: 27-2, 27-3?

Thanks

------------------

Reddog

Mikie, It signifies a change in that model. In this case it means " Cylinder stop changed, eliminate trigger guard screw." The date was 1961. Reddog

Reddog

MIkie, I should have added on the last post, the 27-2 was built until 1982. In 1969 it was changed to the "N" serial prefix, and in 1975 they added the TT, TH, red ramp front and white outline rear sight and Goncalo Alves stocks and case. I don't know what the case means? Unless it means presentation case? This is all from Supica & Nahas. Reddog