Smith & Wesson “E” Series 1911

the45er

I bought a S&W “E” Series 1911 online and it came in today. I was elated at the condition and it shoots well too. IT came in the original blue case and it even had the test fired brass in the box. Date: 2004!

Now don’t get me wrong - i’m not complaining. A 1911 is a 1911 and this one is a beauty that shoots well. What I would like to know is how many years has Smith and Wesson been making the scandium frame E-series 1911s?

L-2

From my "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" book, it appears 2011 is the year S&W put out the E-Series 1911s with Scandium frames.

"108483 4-1 ⁄ 4 " Scandium Frame E-Series 2011-2015
108485 4-1 ⁄ 4 " Scandium Frame Two Tone E-Series 2011-2015

Supica, Jim,Nahas, Richard. Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson) (Kindle Locations 13930-13932). F+W Media. Kindle Edition. "

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/
The forum, above, may be a better resource.

the45er

This has been an interesting purchase. I don't know if I will ever use guns.com again as they simply do not communicate. While the gun was shipped quickly, I was fortunate that the 18 year old gun was in the condition it was in because as stated above, they misrepresented it as an E-Series gun. One picture also looked like the slide/frame on the left side of the gun was marred. It wasn't (thank goodness), but they would not answer emails or phone calls to verify. One time I did get through and they told me that it would be a 15% restocking fee, plus shipping, to take the gun back. I don't consider having to pay $200 to restock a fair three day inspection period.

I also am having trouble with weak firing pin strikes ever few rounds. I'm hoping a new firing pin and spring will solve this issue. Bottom line to this rant is caveat emptor! I was lucky this time (I hope) and will follow this advice more closely next time!

wild cat mccane

When guns.com first opened, they were the cheapest and always had a great experience.

Now they are one of the highest, I have had problems with new, and even "certified" I have had problems with used purchases not being as described.

Right now they have P226 I want to buy. No picture though. hum... Keep telling myself not to do it...

Rob228

I have one of the earlier 1911Sc pistols before they turned into the PD line, I want to say I bought it in 2005 but I honestly cannot recall, I'd have to go plus or minus a year on that. I have never had any issues or complaints with mine, its the 4.25" barrel and shoots like a dream.

My only complaint, and I fixed it then did a home cerakote job on the slide which has been reapplied twice..... The front sight. Mine had two sharp corners sticking out on either end of the dovetail where they decided not to blend them in to the slide. It just bugged the heck out of me.

larryf1952

In August of 2008, I purchased my S&W 1911. The original SW1911's were introduced at the 2003 SHOT show and had a large "SW1911" graphic on the left side of the slide. Later SW1911's toned down the size of that "billboard" somewhat. My gun is an example of that.

The "E" series and scandium framed guns were introduced as the next generation after my SW1911, so they would not have arrived until sometime after summer, 2008. If your gun was manufactured in 2004, it most certainly is not an E gun. This is a pic of my gun...

F28t44O.jpg