Smith recommendation?

Abby

I think what I could use is a recommendation for a good Florida gunsmith to do a rebarrel job on a Mauser.

I have an old Brazilian Mauser 98 in 30.06. Shoots just fine (cycles nicely, trigger is nice, rounds impact at point of aim), but it's original, and, as such, mostly a cabinet decoration. I AM lacking a good mid-caliber hunting rifle that can be scoped. And I can't seem to find anything that is
A) not ungodly expensive
B) still excites me

So, after a little thinking, I figured, why not put a shorter barrel and new stock on the old beast? It'll get several more years of good use.

I looked in the Brownell's catalog (are the parts to do this affordable? Yep!), then search the archives here (is this something I can do on my coffee table with a Leatherman and a roll of electical tape? Umm..no.).

Other than one repair job, I've never been to a gunsmith. I wasn't real thrilled with the guy who did the repair job. I'm not sure how "interactive" the process of breathing new life into my Mauser would be (am I supposed to show up and talk with the gunsmith? Do I just ship the rifle and a check?:confused: , but I do know I'd more comfortable with someone to whom I could communicate what I wanted (I don't need to hang over somebody's shoulder while the work is done, though).

Any idea of a name, or at least a resource where I could find someone? Any help would be appreciated.

George R

Gunsmith in FL

I'd like to recommend MikeMcCord over in Pinellas Park (Tampa). I'm in a gun business in Boca Raton and use Mike for a lot of gunsmithing with good results. 727 546 0653.

DnPRK

BTDT. Chances are the cost of a re-barrel, bent bolt and re-stock will exceed the price of a new Remington 700 ADL or Savage 11 rifle. Get a price from a gunsmith, then take a trip to Wallyworld or Basspro. You might be suprised.

Bill DeShivs

If the gun shoots well, simply have the existing barrel shortened. This saves the cost of a new barrel. The military stock can be "sporterized" by removing unnecessary wood, and refinishing. I believe bolts are available that will allow you to scope the rifle.
Bill