Smith Model 22 .45ACP

Conn. Trooper

Hello, new to the older Smith's, I am mostly a Sig and Glock guy. My local gun shop has got a slightly used S&W Model 22, case colored frame in .45acp. Its in very good shape and they are asking $575 with tax. Seems like a good price to me. Any thoughts?

Also, I have been told you need to use the moon clips with this gun. True? Is it a pain to use them? I have a few Smith's but they are all .357's and don't need clips. Any info appreciated. Thanks!

charleym3

Ahhh where to start.
I have three. Two of them are the Thunder Ranch version from a few years ago. The other is a Nickle version. I gave about $530 for it. I got a great deal.
It was not with out flaws and had to be returned to S&W for a new cylinder and shorter front sight. I had it back in a week. All the shipping and fees included, I'm into this revolver for $630 and it's worth it.
You can get a clip called RIMZ that you can load and unload without any tools. You can get spring steel clips that do require tools to unload. I have found the steel ones more consistant, but more easily damaged. When they get bent, just throw them out.
refilling the cylinder using moon clips is ultra fast. That nickle revolver is one of my favorites.
I don't really care for the color case-hardened look, but some people don't like nickle. To each their own.
The 22-4 is a great revolver. You'll never were it out and it's pretty accurate with factory equivalent loads. Big thumbs up!

Auto426

New ones seem to go for around $800, give or take a little, with the case colored version seeming to be the most expensive. If it's in good condition, than that's not a bad price.

Moon clips are not necessary, since the gun is made to headspace the rounds on the case rim. If you don't use moon clips, you will have to pull each individual case out by hand, since the extractor won't have anything to grab onto. However, people that use moon clips seem to love them. The only issues are mooning and demooning. There are plenty of tools for sale that can make it easy, and people even make their own. You can also try polymer clips or you can shoot .45 Auto Rim.

I have recently started looking into getting one of these, and may consider either a 22 or a 1917 as my next purchase. I need a good .45 acp revolver, after all.

Last edited:

FieldShunt

Moonclips are no big deal. .45 moons are cheap and plentiful. If you have 20 of them, that's enough for 120 rounds. You can load up at home at the bench and shoot until the barrel melts when you get to the range.
In fact, that's my one issue with moonclips- I tend to go too fast and not only heat up the gun, but eat up the ammunition at a faster rate than any other handgun.
It helps with recovering brass, too.
I don't use a mooning tool, but I do have a few short lengths of 1/2" copper water pipe with one end notched to catch on the moon's edge for a de-mooner. Cheap and fast.