Smith Model 19: Light Hits

TunnelRat

Hi All,
I have a model 19-3 that I picked up one month ago in Nickel that I love. I am not the original owner (wasn't born yet lol) so I don't know all of its passed history. However I am noticing that on less than top shelf ammunition (i.e. Remington golden sabres work every time but not Remington UMC, WWB, or reloads especially) that I get quite a few FTF. In factory reloads it is at least 1-2 FTF in a cycle of 6 rounds.

I talked to a gunsmith I know and he suggested calling S&W and having them send me out a new main spring. I just got it today but I am somewhat confused. The new main spring does not look like the old, essentially it looks a lot cheaper. The old main spring seems to have a groove for the strain screw that bevels out the back. The new main spring will fit, but now I am wondering if the spring in there now is factory Smith. I have pictures attached (the factory spring is by itself on the table, the spring the gun came with is still in the gun).

In addition I noticed the strain screw was out quite a bit (either from use or original owner wanting a lighter pull). I have since tightened it. That leaves me with a few questions:

1. Do the two springs look different simply because the replacement is cheaper or is what is in there now not factory?
2. Do you think having the strain screw tightened might take care of the light hits?
3. If I do replace the main spring is it worth having a smith do it?

Thanks,
-Patrick

Attachments

• 2011-06-22_21-21-32_260.jpg
    2011-06-22_21-21-32_260.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 56
  • 2011-06-22_21-22-11_120.jpg
    2011-06-22_21-22-11_120.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

radom

1. Looks like a aftermarket spring in the gun to me.
2. Probably 99.999% of the time just snugging the strain screw if its not light will cure the issue.
3. Not to me as it is a very simple job but probably not needed after N0-2.

mete

The spring in the gun is part of a a Brownells spring kit .The one on the table is the original from the looks of it.Assuming the screw is original length and is tightened all the way either spring should work.
Get it working first then worry about the other spring which is part of the spring kit.

HighValleyRanch

I agree with Radom, tighten the strain screw and then try it with various loads before replacing the spring.

If the screw was backed out to lighten the hammer strike, then that could be the solution.

WildBill45

Do you think having the strain screw tightened might take care of the light hits?

My money is that it IS the problem! A lot of revolver problems start with folks messing with the DA trigger pull. Such activities are OK for competition guns, but on the streets the targets shoot back!

If this is your carry or defense gun, keep it fairly tight for reliability first and foremost!

TunnelRat

Thanks for all the tips. I get the impression the previous owner loosened the screw for a lighter pull as the head was half out of the frame. I tightened it and the pull is definitely requires more and strikes *seem* harder. The spring in there now seems pretty nice and not that old so if this fixes it I will just leave that spring in there and keep the replacement as a spare.

I don't get why people do this to revolvers. If you stage the trigger pulls it's not that hard.

Eagle0711

I would check the length of the strain screw. It has been a common practice to file it shorter to obtain a lighter trigger pull.