Smith Grips for 686

Carmady

"looking for rubber boot grips that are round butt that will fit an L frame.....and that cover the entire back of the grip."

Round butt K frame grips will fit the L frame.

Uncle Mike's K frame boot grip does not cover the backstrap or the bottom where the sn is stamped.

UM's full size RB grips cover both, like in your first pic.

Pic of UM's K frame boot grip

Attachments

• UM K frame RB Boot Grips 2.jpg
    UM K frame RB Boot Grips 2.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 27

Nick_C_S

Not sure if I can help directly, but I'll attempt to fill in some info gaps here . . .

Your first link/pic is that of a 3" bbl Smith 686+. I have one, right down to the SKU. A fine gun. My carry gun in the cool months when I can layer up a bit. But I digress. I bought mine factory new and its grips don't cover the backstrap. I agree that the illustration rather appears that they may cover the backstrap, but in reality, they don't.

Your second link/pic is that of a K-frame model 66. That pic - an actual pic and not an illustration - shows with a good deal of certainty that the grip covers the backstrap. I have a K-frame model 67 and its stock grips cover the backstrap; however, they are also "conversion grips," which convert a round but to a square butt, so to speak. So my grips and that model 66's grips are apples n oranges.

I'm curious why you want grips that cover the backstrap? My L-frame handles great with its stock grips. My hands are small. Maybe you want a little more reach to the trigger than me??

Dan-O

I have xl sized hands and have gotten boxers fractures in my pinky finger bone in my palm, and back of the hand multiple times.

I really want the talo unfluted 3” 686+1, but the wooden grips that come with it are as worthless as tits on a turtle as i need the entire backstrap covered.

The new 686 is a round butt..... I can’t believe that these are so difficult to find.

wild cat mccane

If it helps, S&W doesn't list the 4" or 6" rubber grip equivalents online either. Just Hogues with the huge finger grooves.

Give S&W a jingle to get the low down on the 3" grips. Ask about the 4" equivalents they have on about all the current 686s but don't list online...:)

pete2

I bought a 617 this year, grips look the same, do cover the back. I'd be surprised if S&W don't sell them.

wild cat mccane

Unless used, you won't find those as they are S&W logo'd.

Call them and ask my question about the stock 4"/6" non finger grooved rubber grips too :)