Smith and Wesson Top Break 4th Model

Rothdel

First I apologize I don't have pictures. I took some but for some reason I can't find them on my phone. I will attempt to rectify this tonight.

I found this little .32 SW top break 4th model at a gun show in a box marked "Random Stuff"

Its in good mechanical condition but was neglected and gummed up like crazy. Not sure what the previous owner had done but there was a layer of what appeared to be caked on grease on the gun. It came off easy but as I found it the thing looked rough. I paid $50 for the thing cleaned it up it and it's actually in very good shape.

It was blued and retains about 60-70% of original finish. Serial 155XXX Lock up is tight and hammer and trigger function very well. All in all once it was properly cleaned and a little attention was given it turns out to be far better than "Random Stuff". I'm assuming this is black powder only but I'm not sure. Until I get some more info the little gun will be proudly residing in the safe.

So here is the question. How do I go about dating this little guy? I could not find a serial number look up online. I saw references to A S&W reference book but as this is the only Smith I own I wanted to validate with you fine folks that is the best way to go before purchasing.

Also curious at $50 if I made a good, so-so, or bad purchase. Not so worried about that but the picker in me wants to know.

Howdy

'.32 SW top break 4th model' does not define the gun very well.

There were three completely different types of 32 caliber Top Break Smiths that I can think of.

Single Action, Double Action, and Safety Hammerless.

This is a 32 Single Action. Single action with a spur trigger. Only one basic model made from 1878 until 1892, with some minor variations. Several different barrel lengths were available. This one shipped in 1889.

32%20Single%20Action_zpsnqsbvmhm.jpg

This is not a 32 Double Action, it is a 38 Double Action. I don't have a 32 Double Action, but they looked very similar to this, just a little bit smaller. There were five separate models of the 32 Double Action made. Various barrel lengths. If your pistol looks like this we can narrow it down a bit further as to when it was made by going over some of the features.

38%20Double%20Action%204th%20Model%2001_zpsukpbkle7.jpg

32 Safety Hammerless. Double Action only. Sometimes unofficially known as a Lemon Squeezer because of the grip safety. Available in several different barrel lengths, there were three separate models made over the years. Again, the specific model can be narrowed down by various features. This is a 2nd Model that shipped in 1905.

32%20safety%20hammerless%20with%20box_zpsden38qga.jpg

The book you are probably talking about is the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, by Supica and Nahas. Now in its fourth edition. If you can decide which type we are talking about, I can help you come up with a range of years when it was probably made. Not going to be able to come up with a specific year. $80 sent to the Smith and Wesson Historian will get you a letter telling you exactly when it shipped.

Rothdel

Sorry Folks. Did not realize there were that many different "4th Models".

Mine is double action with the firing pin attached the hammer. There is no grip saftey. The second picture you posted Driftwood looks spot on minus the obvious size difference between a 38 and a 32.

Howdy Again

The 32 Double Action 4th and 5th models both have a trigger guard that is rounded at the rear, unlike the trigger guard on the 38 Double Action that I posted, which has a recurve at the rear of the trigger guard.

32 Double Action 4th Model was made from about 1883 until 1909. Serial numbers ran from 43,406 through about 282,999 with roughly 239,000 manufactured. That is as close as I can get for production dates. You can probably get a more precise estimate on the date by posting a question on the Smith and Wesson Forum in the Antiques sub section of the Revolver section. You will probably have to sign up to the forum to post, but it is free.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php

Bear in mind that the official records of S&W do not include actual manufacture dates. The records are based on when the gun shipped. Sometimes they sat in inventory for a while.

Regarding value, there a bazillion of these made, so they do not command a high collector's value.

The latest edition of the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson does not break down estimated values for the 32 Double Action by the different models, it only gives a general listing for all 5 models.

As New in the Box: $750
Excellent +: $525
Excellent: $325
Fine: $250
Very Good: $200
Good: $175
Fair: $150
Poor: $80

AK103K

Does it look like this?

enhance

enhance

I found that in one of my dads drawers after he died. Figured someone must have given it to him to get rid of it, as Id never seen it before, and had a pretty good idea as to what he had.

This gun seems to have been pretty well cared for and has most of its original bluing. Lock up is tight, both at the break and the cylinder, and the timing seems good.

No markings as far as caliber anywhere on the gun, and there was no ammo with it. Took a little detective work and digging around to figure out what it was, a 32 S&W.

If you wade through some searches, there is some info on the web that will give you an idea as to the approximate age. I did find something (Im thinking it was the S&W board) that put its serial number in the black powder era. Thats what Ive been loading it with anyway.

When I was trying to find ammo for it, was back during that last ammo debacle, and it was about nonexistant. 32 S&W (not 32 S&W "Long") isnt the easiest on a good day. I think it was OWS that had a couple of older boxes at $50 or so a box of 50. Probably more for the collectors than the shooters.

I got dies, a shell holder, 100 pieces of brass and 100 LRN bullets from Midway for about $75. I have a pound of so of FF black powder left for my old BP revolver and used that. I know I should have probably used FFF, but I figured the FF would actually give a lighter load, and wouldnt hurt. It didnt. It shoots about 6" right of POA at 10', and wont pierce my burn barrel at the same distance. Bark and recoil was more than I was expecting too. :)

I came across a lot of different thoughts on what was safe to shoot in the old top breaks and there seems to be a lot of conflicting advice out there too. Some say smokeless loads are fine, others say no. Some will tell you you can shoot .32 autos out of them (not me :)). I think youre going to have to do what you think best.

Seems most of the guns in this and similar calibers are more of the "cheap" variety, and most Ive seen and from the half dozen or so people had given me over the years, didnt hold up to well to use over the years. Most were pretty loose and usually way out of time, if they functioned properly at all. You can tell by comparing them, that the S&W's were definitely a lot better made and the top of the line here.