Smith and Wesson M&P Metal

TunnelRat

I saw this. Kind of following what SIG did with the P320 AXG.

It’s all sort of funny to me. For years in marketing the polymer pistols one of the trends was to suggest that the flexing of the polymer frame imparted less recoil to the shooter. Now the marketing is the more rigid frame allows for faster shot recovery and perhaps even better accuracy, again depending on the marketing.

All that said, I do think it’s neat and I do like my P320 AXG, though it’s a bit wide for my hand. This would potentially not have that problem with the different backstraps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyJim

Well, for all those wanting a metal-framed pistol, here it is. The $899 MSRP seems awful high, but maybe the street price will be considerably lower.

Spats McGee

Administrator
....For years in marketing the polymer pistols one of the trends was to suggest that the flexing of the polymer frame imparted less recoil to the shooter. Now the marketing is the more rigid frame allows for faster shot recovery and perhaps even better accuracy, again depending on the marketing.....
I've been wondering about that flexing aspect. It seems to me that the Metal sacrifices whatever flex may be there in exchange for rigidity. I don't know how that will affect recoil, but I'm curious.

jar

I've been wondering about that flexing aspect. It seems to me that the Metal sacrifices whatever flex may be there in exchange for rigidity. I don't know how that will affect recoil, but I'm curious.
I can say that my 469 shoots softer than my Shield 2.0 but whether that is related to the metal frame, the wider grip or the additional weight is unknown. My guess is all three.

My Shield 2.0 sitting on my 469 with the top of the slides and rear of the grips aligned.

attachment.php

Interestingly the 469 also fits in my kydex Shield 45 holster. Notice how closely the two pistols ergonomics mirror each other. The M&P Compact is even closer in all dimensions than the Shield 2.0 9mm. The wider Shield 2.0 45 slide width is almost identical to the 469.

Attachments

• Shield-469-800.jpg
    Shield-469-800.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 393

Spats McGee

Administrator
I can say that my 469 shoots softer than my Shield 2.0 but whether that is related to the metal frame, the wider grip or the additional weight is unknown. My guess is all three.
I think you're right.
My Shield 2.0 sitting on my 469 with the top of the slides and rear of the grips aligned. . . . . Interestingly the 469 also fits in my kydex Shield 45 holster. Notice how closely the two pistols ergonomics mirror each other. The M&P Compact is even closer in all dimensions than the Shield 2.0 9mm. The wider Shield 2.0 45 slide width is almost identical to the 469.
That is interesting. Looking at your picture, I'd certainly have expected it to fit a leather holster, but the fact that it fits kydex tells me they're really close.

jar

I think you're right.

That is interesting. Looking at your picture, I'd certainly have expected it to fit a leather holster, but the fact that it fits kydex tells me they're really close.
My Shield 45 slide is also just a hair longer than the Shield 9mm 2.0 so the Shield 45 2.0 and the 469 are even closer in dimensions as well as weight. The 469 though is a double stack magazine (that's an old RamLine in the picture) so the Shield 45 grip is still more narrow than the 469. With 7 + 1 rounds of 45acp vs the 15 + 1 rounds of 9mm the weights are pretty close as well. The aluminum alloy frame 469 is still about four ounces heavier than the Shield 2.0 45acp. Part of that difference is the older steel magazines versus the modern aluminum and plastic magazines.

wild cat mccane

Aluminum doesn't make sense to me.

We wanted aluminum to keep it metal but make it not heavy steel.

Polymer has proven itself just fine...so unless it's like the Sig 2022 vs the P226 where the some what similar guns had the P226 having the perception of being better, I wouldn't search out an aluminum framed gun.

It's not like this will be a race gun because the aluminum frame doesn't add anything for a race gun user. If guts are the same and the "3.0" trigger is already in the full size optic ready M&P...

I don't know...

wild cat mccane

Flex from polymer gives you less snap but more recoil from what I've read on a perfect apples to apples comparison Walther Q5 Polymer and the Q5 Steel Frame where the SF has significant weight difference, but essentially the exact same guns.

Hopefully get the Q5 SF out with the Q5 polymer this weekend and can report back :)

TunnelRat

Smith and Wesson M&P Metal

Aluminum doesn't make sense to me.

We wanted aluminum to keep it metal but make it not heavy steel.

Polymer has proven itself just fine...so unless it's like the Sig 2022 vs the P226 where the some what similar guns had the P226 having the perception of being better, I wouldn't search out an aluminum framed gun.

It's not like this will be a race gun because the aluminum frame doesn't add anything for a race gun user. If guts are the same and the "3.0" trigger is already in the full size optic ready M&P...

I don't know...

Like you mention in the follow on post, there is a different dynamic in shooting aluminum versus polymer. I have the AXG module and a polymer Carry module and I shoot them back to back occasionally. Having learned to shoot mostly on classic P series SIGs, aesthetically and tactilely I like the aluminum. I do notice I’m back on target a bit faster with the aluminum.

Last edited:

Nathan

This goes in the category of misunderstood sentiment.

I love a good steel or aluminum 1911 or S&W revolver. Why would I want a heavier M&P? I guess I’m just confused.

It will be cool for some, but I don’t think you will get many from the all metal crowd to jump to it. I also think the plastic lovers won’t get it either.

Am I out in left field?

TunnelRat

This goes in the category of misunderstood sentiment.

I love a good steel or aluminum 1911 or S&W revolver. Why would I want a heavier M&P? I guess I’m just confused.

It will be cool for some, but I don’t think you will get many from the all metal crowd to jump to it. I also think the plastic lovers won’t get it either.

Am I out in left field?

Idk, as best as I can tell the P320 AXG sells fairly well and is basically the same thing. Whether this will have the same appeal I don’t know.

jar

Just for fun I weighed my 469 as well as my Shield 45 with ammo since the size of the two are close enough to fit in the same kydex holster (but only one at a time, no shoving). To keep the dimensions relatively the same I used the extended magazine in both guns.

I also weighed my Shield 9mm 2.0 with both magazines loaded so it is the same number of 9mm Luger rounds as in the 469.

Weights:

9mm with both magazines:
attachment.php

The 469 with the extended '59' 15 round magazine:

attachment.php

The Shield 45 with the extended magazine:
attachment.php

Attachments

• weight-9mm.jpg
    weight-9mm.jpg
    663.8 KB · Views: 239
  • weight-469.jpg
    weight-469.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 239
  • weight-Shield-extended.jpg
    weight-Shield-extended.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 242

jackstrawIII

From my experience, taking the same gun with the same approximate weight (aluminum and polymer are SUPER close in weight), the aluminum gun will have noticeably snappier recoil.

Not that it matters much with a 9mm, but the difference will be noticeable.