Smith and Wesson 460 XVR- 8 3/8 or 10.5"

Paochow

I'm looking at buying a 460XVR for deer hunting this fall. I've already settled on the 460 over the 500 due to the availability of cheaper ammo and ability to use lower powered calibers (45LC and .454). I haven't been able to decide which model of 460 though as both the 8 3/8" and 10.5" Compensated Hunter seem to fit the role.

The 8 3/8" has the benefit of a lighter weight, shorter package, cheaper, and numerous holster available. I would have to buy a scope mount though, which would cut into my savings.

The 10.5 Hunter model has a integral scope mount, built in sling mounts, and a compensator which I've read helps to tame the beast. It is longer and heavier and would likely need to be slung rather than holstered in the field however. Also I'm not sure if this model has the gain twist rifling as in the 8 3/8.

Anyone have some first hand experience with either or both of these giant wheelguns?

Timbow

If you intend on doing any offhand shooting with it I'd go with the 8 inch. By the time you add a scope and mount, that's about as much as most people can hold at arms length for any period of time. If you plan on always shooting from a rested position then go with the longer barrel. Recoil of the 460 in either model isn't nearly as bad as the 500 but the muzzle blast is tremendous. Have fun, those big revolvers are a blast to shoot.

Winchester_73

I own a 460 XVR. I think it does depend on what you want to do whether to get the XVR or the 10.5 from PC. If you're knew into handguns or long range handgun shooting, I think the 8 3/8 XVR is the best choice. Think about it, its long enough to be plenty accurate (and it is) it has a compensator, tapped for a scope etc. Since it has longer barrel itself, you could always shoot it off a rest and be pleased. If you planned to compete (non offhand) or always shoot off a rest, then the PC version is better for you. The big problem I see with the 10.5 if offhand shooting. After placing a scope I believe it would be too heavy to shoot much offhand. The 8 3/8 really is the jack of all trades as far as a 460 is concerned. It obviously is limited as a CCW but no one really buys one with that intent anyway. One thing to be make sure of - make sure the 10.5 version, if you get it, is compensated. Some of the 500s were not and I'm not very familiar with the PC models so make sure you get that cause you will need it. On top of everything else, the XVR is cheaper than the PC version. You won't be disappointed.

davlandrum

I have the 8 3/8 460.

I will counter your 10.5 benefits with these arguements:

Cost of a scope mount in the scheme of shooting these beasts is minor.

My 8 3/8 has a compensator as well (actually 2, one for jacketed and 1 for lead)

For the life of me, I could not figure out when I would want the sling mounts versus being able to put it in a holster. My cross-chest holster has a flap for when it is wet and raining, and a strap I can replace the flap with when it is not raining. And you do want something to keep it securely in the holster. I didn't realize how much bending and twisting I do while hunting until I did not snap the flap and dumped it on the ground:eek:

I believe (but am not sure), that they both have the gain-twist rifling. It would seem silly to get less performance out of a performance center gun.

And a big +1 (or +10) to what Timbow said about off-hand shooting. 8 3/8 is unwieldly enough and wears you out on the range. I can't imagine adding more length to it.

Absolutely my favorite gun to shoot of all time!!! Tests you, but doesn't beat you to death. Hunted with it last year, but did not get a shot. Got drawn for mule deer this year in an area I know and love, so should have results photos this fall!

Last edited:

Paochow

Thanks for all of the input. The 460 will be an upgrade to my current M29, so I am used to some heft in a revolver. A local Cabelas had both in stock the other day and I finally was able to compare them both side by side. Despite weighing 10 oz more the 10.5" had decent balance and seemed to feel a bit less muzzle heavy than the 8 3/8" :confused: Both are beasts though. I'm going to try to see if I can rent one of each at the local range, before I make the plunge.