Smith and Wesson 44 special

2amencw

I recently bought a used S&W 44 special. Chrome with gold accents. Apparently fired once. Backstrap is engraved "Ellie Carmicheal" but the engraving looks as though the factory didnt engrave it very deep. From my research the gun appears to be either a 1950 military model or a model 21. It has two different sets of serial numbers. The numbers all match in pairs. The wear is from people working the action. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 224
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 141
Your gun was made prior to about 1952 as evidenced by the half moon front sight and shape of the hammer.

It's hard to tell from the photos whether the nickel plating is original or not, but I'd say not given the gold plating.

jglsprings

I would almost guarantee that the engraving was not done by the factory.

Nothing about that revolver appears "factory".

How do you know it was only fired once?

tipoc

To me what it looks like you have here is a 44 Hand Ejector 3rd Model with a 4 inch barrel. This model was made both before and after the war. I agree it is likely not factory nickeled with the gold plated highlights. It's hard to tell much about the condition from the poor quality of the pics.

On these older guns, made before the numbering system came along, the serial numbers can be found on the butt, on the rear face of the cylinder, on the rear of the star ejector, and on the flat of the barrel underlug (the housing for the ejector rod). In each of those places the numbers should match. If a post war gun the numbers will have an S prefix. The numbers on the yoke and crane are assembly numbers. If you can read these numbers then we can figure the approximate date of birth. For privacy the OP can always replace the last two digits of teh SN with "xx". Or the OP can go over to www.proofhouse.com and find the date.

tipoc

laytonj1

Or the OP can go over to www.proofhouse.com and find the date.
Not likely, Proofhouse does not cover S&W's.

Your gun has the long throw hammer and early ejector rod found on prewar guns. Both those features ended by late 40's. It is, as Tipoc stated, a 44 hand ejector.
To give you an approximate date I need the serial number. Take the serial number from the underside of the grip butt.

Jim

Last edited:

2amencw

my 44

The engraving is in identical "font" to other marks on the gun. The plating is very uniform and doesent look like a redo, but there are some good platers from that time frame. I will post better pictures when I find my good camera. The gold plating is identical to another S&W pistol I saw that was a presentation gun. The gun would have been completely dissembled including barrel if it was replated. Everything on this matches and looks the way it is supposed to. There is one very light soot stain on one chamberface of the cylinder with even lighter soot to either side that only covers half of the chamberface. the grips are not original for sure. I would love to shoot it but I am not going to until I know more about the gun. Thanks for the info!

tipoc

True proofhouse doesn't, my bad.

2amencw,

If for some reason you don't want to mention the serial number here you can also go over to the S&W forum. But to get any help from anyone on the approximate date we'll need to know some of the number. As I mentioned before you can mark the last two digits as "xx" for privacy.

Letters from S&W historian Roy Jinks are also available. They can often tell you specifically when the guns left the factory and what the original finish was as well as any special features.

tipoc

Hammer It

The plating is very uniform and doesent look like a redo, but there are some good platers from that time frame. I will post better pictures when I find my good camera. The gold plating is identical to another S&W pistol I saw that was a presentation gun. The gun would have been completely dissembled including barrel if it was replated. Everything on this matches and looks the way it is supposed to. There is one very light soot stain on one chamberface of the cylinder with even lighter soot to either side that only covers half of the chamberface.

Hello
I have been following this thread awhile. I agree with other Posters that the revolver appears to be a Third Model Hand eject .44. The Nickel Plating Could be factory and if it is, There should be an N-Prefix on the Under barrel stamp in front of the serial number as well as the side of the grip frame. I doubt the hammer and trigger are Factory. S&W Installed Case colored hammer's and Triggers on this Guns. On The subject of Gold Plating and removing the barrel to Re-Plate it, Ford's Refinishing in Florida have done some for me and they remove the barrels and do offer gold Plating on Trigger's and Hammers. There is a Local Guy in my area that Loves Bling, Bling, so he sent Three to them for refinishing and they all have Gold Plated Hammers and Triggers. If your gun is Lacking the N-Prefix but has a B-Prefix in the areas I told of, Then it left the factory blued and has been re-plated. Just my 2 Cents worth on it..:) Hammer It

CraigC

"Recently"? The pictures are dated 2005.

Could be a renickel but the lettering looks pretty sharp from here. Would be easier to tell with better pictures. Pretty safe to say the gold plating is not factory.

2amencw

S&W 44 spl

The date on the camera is messed up. The serial numbers is 59215 on the barrel,cylinder and grip frame, there is another number inside the crane housing, on the crane. number is 9137. The backstrap of the square butt is very faintly engraved "Ellie Carmicheal" It might be Ellis but I dont think so. The right side of the frame says MADE IN USA and has a nickel sized S&W emblem. Left side of barrel has SMITH&WESSON and right side is <44S&W SPECIAL CTG>. At the bottom of the grip frame left side is marked Q4 and right side is marked K9 and "N" I am not sure how to explain it but the work on this gun is very good and everything "looks Right". Pins, screws, parts etc. The only thing that doesnt seem right is the very shallow engraving of the name on the backstrap. Thank You for all of your input. Craig

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 42
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 34

tipoc

Likely the gun was produced in 1940 or about then. It is a pre war Third Model Hand Ejector.

Well worth a letter from Roy Jinks. Drop by the S&W website the info on how to get a letter is there. A $50. letter increases the value of the gun many times. Only a letter will let you know if the gun is original factory nickel or factory renickel.

Interesting that someone scratched up the SN on the cylinder.

As I said earlier the number on the crane is an assembly number.

The only thing that doesnt seem right is the very shallow engraving of the name on the backstrap.

I'm not sure what you mean by the engraving not looking right. From your description (you provide no pics of that) the engraving is likely not factory engraving and was done by a previous owner who wanted their name on the frame of the gun. However they did that was how they did it, no "right" or "wrong" about it.

tipoc

Last edited: