Smith and Wesson 439 at LGS

gbclarkson

$450. It looks in really good condition. I did not see any nicks, scratches or wear in the blued finish. I don't think it has been handled much. It has the adjustable sight. It comes with an extra magazine. I did not ask about box or papers. The trigger felt like a typical DA/SA trigger.

Is $450 a reasonable price? There are 2 on gunbroker now: 1 for 300 and receiving bids but the reserve is not met and another for 525 that has not received a bid yet.

Anyone have one? What can you tell me about them? The Interweb did not have much info. Being out of production since the late '80s, would finding accessories (mags, holsters, sights with dots) be difficult? S&W services 3rd generation autos; the 439 is a 2nd generation, right? Does anyone service this line of pistols if need be or customize if we bond?

TimSr

SW439_zpsba86f40d.jpg

I had a 39 for a half dozen years, sold it to my brother, and upgraded to the 439 with adjustable sights in early 90s. I can't speak to accessories and such as mine is all original other then I finished the wood grips.

Both weapons are still in service, and have never been to a smith. Both are very reliable, and seem to fire about any kind of ammo flawlessly, though both have only been fed handloads for their entire lives. aside from the adjustable sights, about the only difference was in the amount of dead length trigger pull in single action shooting.

I originally sought this model because the single wide magazine allowed the grip to better fit my hand than the early double stacks of the day. I don't know the current value, but I paid $300 for my first 39 in the 80's.

RickB

I bought a 539, last year.
It feels good in the hand, but I really don't like it.
Both the DA and SA triggers are crunchy, and the whole mastery of two different triggers is not something I'm interested in; I may pursue converting it to SA-only like the Model 52 and just put up with the wrong-way safety.
Mags are not tough to find; I bought three 8-rounders and a 9-rounder for about $120 on ebay.
I use a Safariland 568 holster that's sold as being adjustable for the 1911, Hi-Power, and Beretta 92, and the 539 fits.
There are still a few places that work on metal-framed Smith autos; I was corresponding with a place in Oregon called Pisco Gunsmithing, just last week.

image31_zpsi7f7nf5x.jpg

jglsprings

It's totally crap gun - you don't want to get one. They are problematic at best....

Where did you say you saw it?? :)

Kidding aside - don't get started with the 39 series they are like potato chips... can't have just one....

I really like my new to me 39-2 and would highly recommend the 439.

Last edited:

carguychris

gbclarkson said:
Being out of production since the late '80s, would finding accessories (mags, holsters, sights with dots) be difficult?
AFAIK all full-size 39-series mags will work (39, 39-2, 439, 539, 639, 909, 952, 3904, 3906). Later 909/952/3904/3906 mags hold 9 rounds rather than 8 and are still sold new by S&W but seem to undergo periodic supply droughts; I surmise that S&W makes them on an ad-hoc basis whenever they run out.

39-series compact (908, 908S, 3913, 3914, 3953, 3954) and subcompact (CS9 Chief's Special) mags will not work because they are too short.

Night sights are available, but adding a front dot on a 1st or 2nd-gen S&W TDA pistol requires drilling the front sight because it is integral with the slide. You are stuck with the big screw-adjustable rear sight unless you swap the entire slide over; the pistol was offered with a small drift-adjustable blade but the slide dovetails are different sizes.

There are plenty of holsters available from a variety of makers. FWIW most soft holsters for double-stack 59-series pistols will work because the slides are very close to the same width. Just be aware that late-production Model 439's came with so-called square or hooked trigger guards rather than round trigger guards; these pistols generally will not fit in round-trigger-guard holsters. (RickB and TimSr's pics show the much more commonplace round trigger guard; you can Google the S&W 3904 or 3906 to see what the square trigger guard looks like, as these models were offered with the square guard exclusively.)
gbclarkson said:
...the 439 is a 2nd generation, right?
Yes, along with the Models 539 and 639.

Last edited:

gbclarkson

Bought it...

... for $409. It is in great shape. I couldn't see any indications of wear on the slide rails, barrel, magazines, grips, anything. I don't think it has been handled much at all. I suppose $409 is a great price if I enjoy the pistol but a waste if I hate it. I pick it up next week.

TheFlash

Have a feeling you're really going to like it.

Years ago when they were still made, I picked up a 6906.
Still in my top 3 favorite handguns in my collection and has always been 100% reliable with anything I've shot through it.

After you pick it up, just give it a good cleaning and lube.
Then take it to the range and enjoy!

scoobysnacker

They're nice guns with a classic, classy look to them. Like Obi-Wan said about the lightsabre- "an elegant weapon, from a more civilized time".

They don't make pistols with this amount of craft poured into them anymore, unless you're looking at 1911's.