Smith and Wesson 34-1 22LR

WVsig

Tell me about these J frame kit guns in 22lr.

I am in the market for a 22lr revolver and have stumbled over on of these in 90% condition in nickel.

Thoughts on these guns? I am trying to compare it to a S&W 18 Combat.

I am looking for this as a training first time shooter gun. Thanks in advance from a semi-auto guy. LOL

carguychris

They are very good guns and are usually very accurate. IMHO its main advantage over the M18 is its weight; the M18 is a heavier gun than you might expect because the barrel and cylinder have the same outside diameter as on the .38Spl M15, but they have smaller holes in them. ;) My M18 weighs about 38oz loaded, which is actually ~3oz more than a loaded M15 weighs with the standard 4" barrel.

Drawbacks? The typically stiff J frame trigger can make it difficult for a new shooter to achieve much accuracy when firing DA. K frames like the M18 have leaf mainsprings rather than coil springs, so the triggers are generally lighter and smoother. The J frame grip is small. Like other .22LR S&Ws, the chambers on older examples may be very tight, making it difficult to use ammo that runs large and/or burns dirty. Ejection can be hard when the chambers are not perfectly clean.

The main potential problem with these guns is that prices have shot upwards over the last few years. They used to be worth ~25% less than K frames, but increasing demand seems to have erased this discrepancy. A few years ago, you could pay $300 for a slightly worn "shooter" M34 vs. $400 for a M18 in equal condition; today, both of these guns are worth $500. :eek: On that topic, if this gun is priced at less than ~$450, IMHO you need to buy it now, because it's becoming less and less likely that you'll find another one in equal condition for this price, and if you don't like it, you can probably flip it and come out ahead!

RsqVet

What car guy said... esp. on the price.

I buy every high condition sub $500 no lock smith I see that is a model I want even if it's a little tight for me at times to do so. They simply are not making them anymore and prices continue to climb.

Also one other thing, a 34-1 will likely have a nice trigger if you compare it with a new J-frame gun, the newer J triggers simply stink so make sure you try the trigger and see what you think.

thinkingman

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471079
I am the new owner of a blued 34-1 4 inch.
Took it to the range on Saturday and it is sweet.
Kids and dads both loved it.
Mine has aftermarket Pachmayr rubber grips that seem a little larger than the factory grips.
Mine is spotless, literally 95% with a faint turn ring.
I did not fire DA, can't speak to that, but SA is as good as any of the vintage SW revos I own.
Also first time out with the 14-3...what a great shooter with wadcutters...beautiful to look at, too....amazing bluing.

mavracer

I have the same gun. great teaching aid I've used it to teach myself to shoot DA better left handed. one thing of note it's light weight will really show poor trigger control. oops' are very easy to identify.
here's a picture with big brother
IMG-20110204-00057.jpg

Last edited:

aarondhgraham

Hello WVsig,,,

I have Didi, a K-frame Model 18,,,
13-didi.JPG

Velda, a J-frame 2" Model 34,,,
19-velda.JPG

And Lilith, a J-frame 4" model 63 (stainless model 34),,,
03-lilith.JPG

The Model 18 is my favorite,,,
But the Model 63 is quickly rising in esteem.

Mainly because it is lighter than the Model 18,,,
But mostly because the one I bought used had oversized grips.

You can see in the picture that they are almost the size of a K-frame,,,
The combination of smaller frame but larger grips is really growing on me.

Buy the Model 34 and then put oversized target grips on it,,,
I'll bet you'll have the same pleasant reaction as I did.

Aarond

22-rimfire

I think it will work very well for your purpose. I was thinking it was a snubbie and I was going to suggest the 3" M63 as an option. But, the M18 is a great 22 revolver. It is a toss up on which one to buy.... The larger frame size will likely make it easier to shoot and use as a training tool except for children under about 10 or so due to hand size.

thinkingman

My 34-1 has oversized grips and I agree, big difference in feel.
The balance of the 4" 34 is just right....and there is just enough weight that there's virtually no recoil/muzzle rise.
The kids were liking it.

22-rimfire

I might have to buy both.... first the 34-1 because it is available and the 18 later on...

Now that is the right answer, but I didn't want to suggest you buy both which is the typical response to threads such as this. Hope you get it and enjoy it!

thibaultfelix40

model 34 s&w

I got one. Every body that ever held it loved it. Bought it brand new in 86. The grips need to be changed. You have a lot of choices if it is a round butt, n:(ot so many if it is square. Yours is round.

nate45

J-frames feel really good with a 3-4" barrel, but they don't feel like a k-frame, if thats what you're wanting.

I've got a 4" 34-1 .22 lr and a 3.5" 51-1 .22 Magnum. I really like them, especially the Magnum.

100_0183-2-1.jpg

It looks better IRL than that pic, its time I took some new ones. Its wearing real Ivory grips. Its sort of hard to locate the 51-1, most people aren't even aware of them.

Its hard to get a good group photo, I didn't even plan to take the one below. I just had a few out waxing them and they were already laid out on the floor, so I grab the camera. I had to stand on a chair to get them all in one shot. Anyway, you can see the 51-1 at the bottom and the 34-1 right above it. Right above the 34-1 is a 19-2, which would be exactly the same size as an 18.
100_0930.jpg

model18

yeah, we love 'em around here!!!!!!!!!!!!! happy holidays guys and I hope everyone get's a model 34/63 for Christmas.

mod34BW.jpg