Smith and wesson 25-2 Price check and questions

shotgunner427

Well the revolver bug has been bothering me for quite a while and now its just a matter of finding one that i want the most.
Upon searching gunbroker i found this particular one
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=94767125

I prefer a revolver in .45 because all i have is autoloaders and dont care to add another round to the closet.
First question- what would be the max amount that i should pay for one in this shape?
Second- I am assuming that i can use the .45 autorim rounds in this without the hassle of moon and half moon clips.

And no, this is not going to be a safe queen. It will be shot until the end of time and well taken care of. I am done getting rid of my guns and vow to never get rid of another one ever again. I'll sell my bodily fluids before i sell another one of my firearms.

kamerer

If you say "in this shape" and refer to the auction, you are meaning ANIB with all accessories? Then $855 seems the going price, and inline with other similar ones I've seen. Desirable N frames (rare models, or ANIB cased ones) seem to be hitting $900 to $1k consistently.

For a shooter as you ask, you'd be better off getting a newer one, possibly a stainless one, and you could find one $550 and up I would think.

glockopop

If (when) you do get one, I recommend moonclips by Ranch Products. They are the ones that come with 625s and 325s from the factory, and if you buy direct they only cost $35 per 100. 100 should be enough for a very, very long time. I just got a 625 for USPSA revolver competition, and for the same reason you listed, ammo compatability with a caliber I already load.

I've been told that $550 is a good price, but I've never actually seen one sold for less than $650. I wouldn't pay more than $700 myself, but I also wouldn't pay up for one as perfect cosmetically as the one in the GB listing. Also, if you plan on shooting it in fast double action mode, the wide target trigger sucks. It is great for single action target shooting, though.

You will not be disappointed to have a .45ACP revolver!

cimarronvalley

S&w 625

Last year I bought a NIB 625-8 for $612 delivered and transferred. I loved it so much I decided I needed another 45ACP revolver. The Target 25 revolver is pretty hard to find in the 6" barrel and they are pricey. I bid $735 on that same pistol about 4 months back. I was the high bidder but he would not budge off his reserve. It seems a little expensive when you can get a 625 for a lot less.

As a matter of fact, I picked up a slightly used 625-2 1988 model with box and papers a week later off of Gunbroker for $396 delivered and transferred. It was in excellent condition. The only problem was that the ejector rod was loose causing the cylender not to release. I figured that is why I go it so cheap. After I tighened the ejector rod up, it is like a new gun.

Both of mine have 5" heavey barrels, target sights and triggers. You may want to consider a 625 instead of a 25.

Good shooting.

Hammer It

Hello Shotgunner427
I recently Bought one Unfired in it's Presentation case for $795.00. I can tell you I had scoured the gun show circuit for better than Five Grueling Years and did not see one of them.:mad: I was happy to end my Search but these carry a Hefty cost when You do locate one because they are in such high Demand. I have replaced all my .45 ACP Cases with .45 Auto-Rim Cases and do not have to screw around with the Moon clips or moon clip tools anymore. The .45 Auto-Rim is the Only way to go with this revolver.. Here it is shown with a Rare set of Walter Roper Custom Grips I found for it as well after Buying it and it's presentation case that came with it. Hammer It

25-2_Roper_s_Left_View.jpg

25-2_Ropers_Right_View.jpg

25-2_in_presentation_Case1.jpg

Casimer

I'd recently picked-up a NIB 25-2 from 1976-77 w/ case for $750 through Bullseye-L. That's more than I tend to spend on a handgun, but it's what they're going for - and often a lot more.

The pricing on the 25-2's may be driven by the fact that they're sought after by both collectors and competitive shooters. Both of these communities tend to be willing to spend a little more than your average shooter.

shotgunner427

that is a beautiful piece you have there hammerit. i wish more pictures were taken outdoors- the natural light really highlights the beautiful finish.

I think that im just going to keep my eye out in the consignment sections of the many guns stores that i keep finding in my area. saw a python with box and paperwork in nice shape that will be given a second look tomorrow :D

Hammer It

HelloShotgunner427
I appreciate your kind words.:) As Poster Casimer has said, if you want a model 25-2 you can plan on spending at least $750.00-$900.00 average for one. They are not an easy find, and mine is a 1976 Model. I would Keep Looking for a mdoel 25-2 if it were me, they are not getting any cheaper nor easier to locate. I was Glad to find the one above unfired in it's original case with all The Factory documents. Regards, Hammer It

Casimer

There are currently a few of these listed on GB at very good prices.

It's funny, for weeks there were none and suddenly there are three.