Smith & Alexander Mag Well

Scaramanga

I recently purchased an S&A mag well for my Kimber. Fit is great, except for the hole for the mainspring pin. It's too small! What should I do to make the hole larger?

Thanks in advance!

------------------
Strength does not come from physical capacity.
It comes from an indomitable will. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
I put one on my Kimber - it's hard to see but the hole is probably not too small - just not far enough up.

Might want to tap on the bottom of the mag well with a plastic mallet.

BTW, watch out for you Magazines hanging up if you haven't cut the interior of the S&A to match the mag well of your kimber.

Giz

George Stringer

Staff Alumnus
Scaramanga, you might also need to relieve a little bit of metal at the top of the mag well where it meets the bottom of the old mag well. I've put a lot on that required that from just about every make. George

Scaramanga

Thanks George, I'll check that to be sure, although it seems to fit fine. One other question: I pulled the mag well/mainspring housing off the frame and tried to get the mainspring pin to fit. No luck. The pin would fit in the frame and the old housing. Is this operator error? It would not kill me to go to my gunsmith, but I tend to be a bit of a propeller head and I like to do things myself if they aren't too complicated. :)

------------------
Strength does not come from physical capacity.
It comes from an indomitable will. -- Mahatma Gandhi