Smith 65, 4" for Concealed?

Driveout02

I've been looking at the Ruger SP-101 for Concealed Carry, it has a great price, and looks like it cleans up real nice with some new grips and some minor buffing to bring out the stainless shine. BUT, I just found a used S&W 65 with a 4" barrel (stainless, no lock) for about $100 less. I guess what my question is: is that way too long for concealed carry? It seems like it might be, but I have a hard time turning down a pre-lock, stainless Smith .357 at that price. Thoughts?

sw_florida

Get the 4" and a Bianchi Shadow II holster. 5BHL or something is the product code. Got mine at BassPro for $75, I think. High-riding on the hip. T-shirt over. Good to go.

Deaf Smith

GET IT!

It weighs about the same as the 5 shot 101. The 2 inches of extra barrel can be hidden with no problems. Your only difficulty will be if you use a IWB and appendix carry (the 4 inch tube will be pushing on a certian part of your tender self that you sure don't want blown off.)

I have the 2 inch 64, and it was my second CCW piece back in 92. The first one as a Smith 640! I still have them both.

Elvishead

Depends, on what you mean about conceal. All day conceal? Maybe not.

Few minutes conceal? Heck yeah! But it is concealable. :D

I'm planing on using my S&W N frame 5" for conceal from time to time, but I also have a semi Subcompact too, for the more time consuming conceal.

guntotin_fool

yes you can carry that concealed for a long time, just get a good belt and a proper holster, My boss carried a blue model 13 (same gun in carbon steel) for maybe 15 years, OWB in a Bianchi holster. he usually wore a dress shirt and a sweater in the office, put on a sport coat when he left.

getting something like the hogue smooth wood grips on it will help, as they are much smaller at the pinky end, and let the gun ride in nice and tight. the rubber grips would grab at the sweater and cause it to hang up, revealing it.

sw_florida

If you find that the wooden grips are too beefy for concealed carry, unscrew them and look on the inside. If the bottom of the grip is thick wood then you can sand the low edge all around for a smoother contour. Oil the naked wood.

10-96

Too big?
I don't see how we can really answer that for ya. I like to carry my Model 13 in 4", but then again, I'm not exactly a little-bitty feller either. Your question my depend on how big your body frame and chasis is. It's really amazing what a person can get used to if he/she will put up with the "gettin used to it" phase. Go for what YOU like. (personally, Smiths suit me better).

Retired

One of my favorite revolvers is a 4" Model 65-1. I've carried it concealed in a belt holster, and the 4" barrel isn't a problem.

If you found a good deal on a nice Model 65, I think you should get it.

BikerRN

I conceal a 4" N-Frame IWB off duty and find it easy to do so.

The "trick" is using good leather. The Model 65 is a great revolver for concealed carry and with the proper stocks, (I'm partial to Eagle "Secret Service Grips"), a good belt and holster combo.

Biker

unit 900

I won't rain on the parade, and what you can tolerate for extended periods will be the determining factor. I grew up in police work during the revolver era, and finished with a Glock 22. The first thing we all did back when was buy a J frame as soon as the money was available. It wasn't for image and surely not for effectiveness over a 4" S&W model 10 HB. It was the weight and ease of concealment. From my perspective, the odds on off-duty engagement were small, but the discomfort of muling a full size revolver was a daily occurrence. Heck, the department didn't fool with hearing protection in the 70's and a reload carried off duty was never mentioned or suggested. This was a major metro DP. Live and learn.

Erik

"I guess what my question is: is that way too long for concealed carry?"

No.

"Thoughts?"

Jump on it.

Warlokke

My first pistol as a newly hired LEO way back when was a SW Model 65 with a 4" barrel. I was too broke as LEO in the early 80's to afford a different pistol for CC off duty so I had to carry it off duty as well. I can't remember what holster I had, but it rode high and tight at the 4 o'clock position and with a good belt was just fine for CC. Man thinking about that brings back some good memories.....:)

Jay1958

To your knowledge, has hearing loss been a problem among those former officers, due to lack of hearing protection? I was in the Army in the '70s and they definitely stressed hearing protection for range work.

Heck, the department didn't fool with hearing protection in the 70's and a reload carried off duty was never mentioned or suggested. This was a major metro DP. Live and learn.

Chesster

I have a M 13 4" with the old Uncle Mikes or Butler Creek grips that I have carried concealed with incident.

Driveout02

I'm now looking at a new Stainless Taurus 85.. for a little less than this price. For $300, would you think a new Taurus 85 was a better deal than a used Smith 65-4 in stainless for $350?

Stainz

My idea of a CCW is something lighter than a 60 or SP101. I like the Airweight 642 or 442. I bought a LNIB 642-2 for $315 OTD early this past year, new ones are still $399 + S/T everywhere locally. In a Robert Mika pocket holster, they can fit in a farly decent sized pocket. Great 'Doomsday' gun for personal protection, not so much fun as a plinker. I keep +P 158gr LHPSWC in mine, I have friends who keep Speer +P 135gr Gold Dots in their's. These .38s are effective stoppers.

Now, if you also want a bedside/plinker revolver, sort of an all-in-one revolver, that 4" 65 is a winner. Just look at that barrel length - and an appropriately sized pancake holster. You'll need a long vest/sweater to conceal that long barrel. And, a 2" SP101 weighs in at 25 oz, the smaller 2" 60 weighs 22.5 oz, while the 4" 65 hits 35 oz. That 642 weighs 15 oz.

Stainz

PS See my post in "Went down to order a matching snubby..." for a picture of both my 642 and it's older - and larger - sibling in a Mika holster.