Smith 625-2

mikejonestkd

Smith 625-6

I've been looking for a 625 for a while to use in pin matches. I was looking for a 625 JM in .45 ACP but happened to find this mountain gun in 45 colt. Its been to the range a few times in the past month and it shoots like a dream.

008.jpg

It loves www.Mastercast.net 250 gr FP over 5.5 grains of trail boss- 1" groups at 15 yards offhand are common.

Here's a pic to compare it to a 686 and a single six:

003.jpg

Last edited:

drail

It's interesting to me that of all of the S&W revolvers I have owned or fired the .45 cal. models have always been the most accurate. I have a 625-2 (1988) that will from a Ransom Rest place all six rounds into one hole. Maybe 3/4". I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. Does your S&W 25 have the narrow trigger?

Rampant_Colt

Nice find! Revolvers like this will command a premium in the future.

S&W K, L and N frames have some of the smoothest, best SA/DA triggers right outta the box, IMO.

stu925

If it were blued it would be the perfect gun (in my eyes anyway). I've got an old 25-5 in .45 Colt that shoots like a dream but the barrel is a bit long (8 3/8") for anything other than range work and carrying while hunting. I'd love a 4-5" barreled Model 25.

Stu

fasteddie565

I have a 625 in 45 ACP. The 45 colt is interesting but I have a tendency to be new caliber averse. This is the most accurate revolver I own. I also shoot 45 GAP ammo, which for some reason is a trifle more accurate.

mikejonestkd

I already have a 1960's model 25 with a 6 barrel, so this one is a nice complimentary 4" model. It has the .280" wide smooth trigger and has already had a new spring kit and trigger work done to it. Its as smooth as butter in double action.

Its quickly become my favorite new revolver...350 rounds in less than a month so far..and its getting better each trip to the range.

rodfac

Geez, I wish they'd make that Mountain Gun in .44 Special...sort of a Model 1950 target gun with a 4" barrel but in SS. I know they're out there, the 4" version of the 624 was it?, but the collector prices are through the roof. Rod

Last edited: