Smith 586 Nickel vs nickel Python

erikrichard

Looking at buying one of these, both in excellent shape, 6" barrels. Forgetting the name on the gun and resale value, is the Python worth twice the price? ($550 vs $1100)
Again, just from the perspective quality of finish and all factors mechanical.

Jim Watson

I shot Pythons for years before the L frame Smiths came out; wanting a gun heavier than a K38 but not as bulky as a M27. I even had a beautiful nickel Python until a friend begged me to trade with him. But now I would go with the S&W even with cost no object. Mostly because of the better trigger pull. Yup, that's right. Pythons have a great reputation, but Smiths are or can be made better. I know, I have both.

CraigC

Forgetting the name on the gun and resale value, is the Python worth twice the price? ($550 vs $1100)

Not to me. While the Python is a fine sixgun and typically smoother with slightly better fit and finish than the average out of the box S&W, at least 25% of the price is for the Colt name.

sandbag

Get the Python

This coming from a Smith fan.I collect and shoot S&W wheelguns.That said,I traded a blue 586 for a Python(+$200)-the Python was nickel.Both 4".I don't like L Frames.I find the full lug barrel on the Python better balanced than the 586.
The trigger pull on a Python tends to stack towards the end,but if you're used to it,then it is not a distraction.A Smith trigger pull is just the opposite,if it is functioning correctly.
I actually like my N Frames(22-4,27,28,29)better than the Python,but the Python is an American icon when it comes to wheelguns,and for good reasons.

laytonj1

For mostly looking at, get the Python.

Jim

DSCN0894.jpg

SPUSCG

ive been stowing away money a little bit over time so i can buy a lot of handguns on my 21st birthday, and the 586 lcomp is on that list

madcratebuilder

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I had a 4" Python, it was a nice gun to look at but it did not like being shot a lot. After the second trip to the shop for timing correction I sold it. Still shooting my 586 and 686.

fomalley

Python and 686

Years ago I had a beautiful stainless 4" Python. Trigger was great, as they always are. I stupidly traded it away - easily the worst decision I've made regarding guns. Later, I got an early model 686 and then traded it for a 6" 686-5. The trigger was stiff in DA, so I got a trigger job and put on a Hogue wood grip. It's beautiful and shoots every bit as smooth as the Python. Even with the trigger job and the grip the cost now would be quite a bit less than the Python. I wouldn't trade it straight up for a Python. Still, I wish I had that damn gun.

pogo2

Explanation?

I have a Python and a couple of 686s, and it is hard to believe that the Python is worth as much as the two 686s together. From a functional standpoint, there isn't that much difference between them - they all will shoot .357 ammo very accurately, and have good triggers and excellent workmanship.

The Pythons cost so much because they are out of production and have become collectors' items. A limited number of good Pythons are sought after by a large number of buyers who want to own them.