Smith 296

smee78

So there I am this morning, waiting on my local gun range to open to get some 22 lovin and I have about 30 minutes to kill. I decide to go into a local pawn shop that I have bought from before and look around. In the revolver case there was a smith sitting face down with a tag on it that says 44spl. I ask to see it (thinking it will have an internal lock) When it was cleared and handed to me I see that it is a lock free smith 296 44spl with factory grips and a smooth trigger. (thinking how much I love my Rossi 720) I look at the price tag and ask if this is the best they could do, the lady came back a minute later a says $380 is the best they could do. Soooooooo I put some money down on it and walk out of there a happy man. How do yall think I did? Anybody have any experience with the Smith 296?

Thanks,
Smee78

Pappy John

Good price. Good catch.

The only oddity on these is, if I remember right, a limitation on the ammo to 200 gr and under bullet weight, so that the bullets won't back out of the cartridge under recoil and lock the cylinder up. The gun itself being so light that the increased recoil impulse, over that of a steel gun, would pull a heavier bullet right out of it's case.

That's okay though, since one of the best self defense rounds in .44 special is the 200 gr Speer Dold Dot load.

mavracer

thief.
I've seen them go for nearly twice that on gunbroker.great buy I really wanted one but between price and the size I ended up with a Bulldog.

tulsamal

I carry one every day.

Obviously that's a great price.

I started out carrying mine with the CorBon 165 grain JHP. That used to be rated at 1150 fps. Seemed to work well out of my gun. But that is a Sierra bullet and not one of the newer premium bullets.

I then read a Stephen Camp review of the CorBon 200 grain DPX load. That's what I carry now. I consider that load to be the number one choice for CCW in .44 Special.

I do use the Blazers with the 200 grain Gold Dots in my two Rossi 720's. (I have both variations.) The one with adjustable sights gets used with that Blazer load around the ranch as a killing gun. Any large animal that has to be put down causes me to go get that gun. One of those Gold Dots to the forehead always means lights out right now.

Gregg

smee78

Thanks for the ammo info, I to have a adj sight Rossi 720, that gun was what started me on the 44spl kick.

Stainz

I bought my 696 for $439 and my 296 for $349 - both new - nearly six years ago and on the same day. The 296 didn't get much carry due to the necessary OWB pancake holster. Nearly two years ago, I got Robert Mika to make me a pocket holster for my 296 - and a 642. The 296 thus holstered could be carried in about 75% of my pants' pockets - a 642 holster had also been ordered, so a 642 purchase followed - and is a carry piece 25+% of the time. Below are both revolvers holstered - and their ammo.

IMG_0206.jpg

The 296 & 396 both state 200gr on the RH full lug side 'MAX BULLET 200 GRAIN'. The 296s and early 396s would suffer from lead splatter and high pressure/hot gas cutting of the light alloy topstrap, so light/fast loads and lead in general should be avoided. Later 396s - and .357 Magnum AirLites - have a small piece of SS inset in the topstrap over the b/c gap to lessen topstrap erosion. Mine saw a steady diet of the $12.88/50 Al-cased Blazers with that excellent Speer #4427 200gr Gold Dot, optimized for proper opening in gelatin at 800 fps. That ended, admittedly after at least 1200 rounds in the 296, when one split it's case in my 696. I switched to homebrews and Georgia Arms loads (Fresh Starline brass cases!) with that same Speer #4427 bullet - round count now over 2.2k. The three ammos tried chrono-ed 803-805 fps from the 2.5" barrel.

S&W warned me against short case, ie, .44 Russian, and any lead use in the 296's Ti chambers. I had to try well crimped 240gr LSWCs - at 770 fps. Checking the crimps each time, the last one to fire, ie, #5, had pulled it's crimp. Had it been a six shooter, it'd have jammed. Valid warning!

Look at the cast-in-place cylinder stop, which the the cylinder's edge bears on when released, swung out, and the ejector rod is pushed. A hard 'Hollywood' rap of the ejector could easily pare away said stop, dumping said cylinder, if you are lucky, into your hand. Check the stop for wear evidence - bright and shiney Al edge. Also check the cylinder's chamber exits for squareness and lack of evidence of tuff cleaning there. This is my only revolver with chamber exit 'rings'. The Ti is persnicketty... this is my only Ti cylinder.

I'll likely not sell my L-frame .44 Specials - especially the 296. It is more fun to shoot - okay, less painful - with UM's Combats. Those OEM boots make it a CCW, of course - it's true function.

Stainz