Smelting pot

stacks04

Hey guys, I am having a hard time finding a cast pot for smelting that isnt going to cost a fortune to get or have shipped. I have an old set of three stainless pots that I can use, but not sure on the thickness of them being okay. I measured it with a micrometer last night and got .016" or 27 gauge. Would this be adequate for smelting wheel weights into ingots? Thanks

GP100man

I smelted & cast from a stainless 2qt. pot for a long time , did it in kool weather over a turkey fryer.

Just don`t use anything aluminum !!!!

m&p45acp10+1

Old cast iron frying pans work well too. I use an old steel pot for melting down the wheel weights. (Make sure to melt those outside. They will leave an indoor area smelling like burned tires for many days.) For the frying pans check a few garage sales, of flea markets. The rusted ones work just fine. I bought a 4 pan set rusted up from a garage sale for $2. I rubbed them down with Cisco on a rag, and stuck them in the oven on 500 for an hour, let them cool, wipe them out.

stacks04

Thanks guys. The more I read the more I am worried about my pot not being stainless. It doesnt say for certain on it so I am not going to take a chance. Walmart has a 5qt pot there for 35 bucks. I guess I will pick it up.

zxcvbob

Go to the Goodwill Store or The Salvation Army and look for a 2 quart Revereware saucepan, preferably with a lid. (I think the one I use might actually be 1.5 quarts.) I use it and an electric hotplate to break down about 10 pounds of lead at a time. It will hold over 20 pounds.

stacks04

Okay I went to goodwill and found a 7-10 qt pot. It doesnt list the size so I am guesstimating it. It is an amway queen 3 layer stainless steel pot. 18/8 stainless. It is also made in the Usa. Will give it a try sometime soon and report back.

stacks04

attachment.php

Attachments

• pot.jpg
    pot.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 148

Rifleman1776

I use an old small cast iron dutch oven and a thick cast aluminum pot. Both work fine. Get too large and you won't be able to lift it.