Smell of pyrodex in the morning

Oquirrh

I'm going to use up the last of my powder -- mostly pyrodex -- and soup cans tomorrow a.m. Gonna get 4 of 5 of my .44s hot and dirty.

Then while my .44s soak in a bucket, I'll begin a fone search for BP or 777. Finally, I'll drive too %$#@ far to get it.

But the morning will make it all worthwhile.
IMGP0030-1.jpg

Top to bottom: Pietta 1860, Pietta '58, Uberti/Cimarron '58 and ? Navy Arms '58.

Sarge

I have learned to appreciate 777 and will probably continue to use it until something better comes along. I like the fact that you can shoot round-ball in a rifle indefinitely w/o loading difficulties. You still need to clean within a day or two of each use, but the cleanup is pretty easy.

I do keep a can of Goex FF around for those times when I want to stink the air up a tad or just fire the little BP cannon.

Nice bunch of sixguns you have there, BTW.

Raider2000

Very nice collection you've got there, hope you have a Blast :D

I like the real deal FFFG & FFG for my pieces but it's been kinda scarce around here so I've had to rely on Pyrodex P for my plinking & been trying 777 FFFG for my Bobcat & just use what I have in the Holy Black for when I take one of my 58's out to the club for some scouting "which I'm doing Sunday" or when I want to sling one down range that'd be a hunting shot "cold barrel & all."

My Bobcat seems to like the 80gr. 777 FFFG load with my .495/.010 PRB but I've yet to tryi it in my C&B revolvers.

berkmberk1

BP for me!

I've got a match Sunday so I'll probably use up the rest of my Shockey's Gold. Then I've got five lbs of Grafs BP to go through.:)

Speaking of Remingtons.....has anyone else seen the Fall Cabela's catalog? Basic Remington is $219!!! :eek: The shooter's catalog has them for $199 until the end of the year though. Wish I'd invested in a second one this spring!

Attachments

• 1858RemR.JPG
    1858RemR.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 31

Hawg

Cabela's had the Remingtons on sale for 165.00 a couple of months or so ago. The 60 Colt went up from 209.00 to 229.00. Glad I got mine when I did.

Oquirrh

Don't like Remingtons do ya?

I like the Rems, but with the advice and tips I've gotten here (I even ground out the cone openings on the Pietta '58 so I can use a snail capper) the Remington design is getting TOO easy. It's pure genius and way ahead of many modern revolvers.

Fortunately, I've got a Pocket Navy Colt to keep things interesting, if not frustrating.

As for powder, I try to buy at small local gun shops whenever possible, but my nearest family-owned shop has virtually given up on black powder items, unless it's for inline monstrosities. I went buy today--outta balls smaller than 50, one kind of cap, BP substitues only in FFG.

Hawg

I grew up shooting a Remmy, my second one was another one. I don't shoot them as much since I got my 60 Colt.

long rider

I dont shoot them as much since i got my 60?
well i recon some guys will op out for seconed
best.:rolleyes
But i do like the look of the 1860s modell :D

Hawg

It shoots as good as my Remingtons, points better and doesn't bang my knuckle on the trigger guard with heavy loads. BTW original Remingtons don't bang your knuckle.

Oquirrh

knocked knuckles

I've got fairly big hands, but the Pietta '58 does NOT bang my knuckle. I seldom shoot more than 25 g loads tho.

But the Uberti sure does--my middle knucke is right against the trigger guard. I have a sore knuckle after a few cylinders.

It's one of the reasons I shoot the Pietta more than the Uberti. The Navy Arms '58 (still haven't figured out the manufacturer--Euroarms?), also does NOT knock my knuckle, but it has a sliver of wood missing at the rear corner of the grip and that edge digs into my palm.

The 1860 has BIG grips. It has potential to shoot as well as the Rems, but i have to break it in and learn the hand-wavin' dance that shakes the cap frags loose.

darkgael

BP order

Try Powder Inc. for BP. The stuff is delivered right to your door. Prices are right. If you order enough (I believe 10 lbs. will do it), it is less expensive than any of the subs even considering the hazmat charge.
Pete
http://www.powderinc.com/

Raider2000

Hawg Haggen said:
I'll stick with Pyrodex. 777 costs too dang much.

I agree with ya there, I can get Pyrodex P for $17.00 & 777 FFFG for $24.00 at the Gander Mountain here in Fredericksbug.

Hawg Haggen said:
and doesn't bang my knuckle on the trigger guard with heavy loads. BTW original Remingtons don't bang your knuckle.

Interesting, maybe because of my small hands I've yet to experience this & I've had up to 42gr. in my old Pietta Remington.

darkgael said:
Try Powder Inc. for BP. The stuff is delivered right to your door. Prices are right. If you order enough (I believe 10 lbs. will do it), it is less expensive than any of the subs even considering the hazmat charge.
Pete

Their great prices but the problem I have is having to be at home to sign for the package instead of at work making $$$.

HH sorry that you got laid off, hope it turns around for ya real soon.

Hawg

I've got prospects but nothing solid yet.

Pyro is 16.00. 777 is 26.00 they're proud of that stuff.

My knuckle doesn't touch the trigger guard on an original just holding it, it does on all the repros I've handled.

sundance44s

I bought another Pietta Remmie from Cabelas when they were on sale for 169.00 a few months ago ...Didn`t need another one , but figured that would be the last chance to ever buy one NIB for under 200 bucks ..:D

Oquirrh

Smoke has cleared...

The Pietta Remmy got the biggest workout because it's easy to load (with the snail capper and Treso cones) and accurate.

Problem with Uberti Remmy. When I got it second-hand, it had a real nice trigger - couple pounds pull and zero creep. But after a few outings it has gradually become a 'hair' trigger. I'm not joking when I say you can 'think' it off! It doesn't to release when I smack the butt though.

I've tuned some triggers but never un-tuned one.

Should I stone the sear notch it a bit deeper or buy a new hammer?