Smallest with a safety

jetsfan

I am looking for a new smaller carry gun but I am having trouble finding one with a safety. I currently use a millenium pro in .45 and like it but I need something smaller for summer time. I also want something with a safety and yes its a must because that has forced me to rule out the P32 and .380 from them as well. As far as caliber goes the only limitation is it be .22 and above as well as in semi-automatic. I appreciate any input and please no lectures on safeties please.

thanks

Gunny

As far a carry goes, I wouldn't carry anything less than a 32 but personally I won't go below a 380. Anything less would just make someone angry.

Im not sure which ones have safties but I just purchased a Micro Desert Eagle .380. It's small and pretty slick looking! some think it's butt ugle but I would have to disagree. Its also a copy from ZVI's Kevin 9mm.

The micro doesn't have a safety but it is DAO and will not fire unless it has the appropriate pressure on the trigger which won't go off unless it got caught on something and you jerked it out really hard. It takes too much pressure for it to accidentally go off.

Another problem with the itty bitties is that .380 ammo is getting harder to find. So keep that in mind as well.

Last edited:

old_ironsights

Smallest, with a safety?

Smallest, with a safety, eh? Caliber larger than .22?

No problem.

automaticaespanolabufalo002.jpg

Superhouse 15

Why is a manual safety a must for you? There are tons of Kel Tecs around being carried in pockets, purses, and sometimes even holsters and they hardly ever fire on their own. Is it a training thing, maybe a Department requirement? Just curious.

Wife likes the Tomcat. It's big and small at the same time and has a manual safety. I wish she would carry her Glock more, but she likes the convenience of carrying the Tomcat in a Bagmaster bag with a belt clip.

jetsfan

I am looking for a pocket style and just feel more comfortable with a safety. I have a few XD's for carrying also in winter months but usually prefer the compact size of the Millenium pro. I want something that can go in a pocket unnoticed such as the size as the P32 or a little larger. I don't have any experience with very many smaller framed pistols unfortunately so I need input.

Thanks

Gunny

How about purchasing something like the Micro or some that they mention above and get one that fits you best rather than worrying about a safety.

If you're going to carry it in your pocket then it will be in a pocket holster and nothing will ever come in contact with the trigger.

The safest gun isn't the one with all of the safeties. The safest gun, loaded or unloaded, is the one with nothing on the trigger.

Chesster

The smallest I have used is a Beretta 950BS .25 but the caliber does not inspire confidence. On the used market, these little 6 shot Hungarians (RK59 and R61) in original police/military or commercial (SMC380 or 918) make good summer carry. I put an older CorBon HP up the spout and 5 fmj in the mag for carry. Fits in a PPK holster without problem like the Don Hume IWB or an old Ahern Pocket Partner.

FegR61.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Russ5924

Been carrying a Kel-tec in my pocket on and off for three years and what is in my pants has stayed there:eek: I would rather carry a Kel-tec without the safety than one with. What happens if the safety is knocked off then you do have a accident waiting to happen:confused::eek:

Bill DeShivs

You will find nothing smaller than the Baby Browning/Bauer/PSP guns (with a safety.)
That said-while these are fine guns the Keltec P32/P3AT series is safer than the guns with safeties. It is virtually impossible to accidentally fire a D/A auto accidentally.
BTW- a .22 or .25 can be a very deadly weapon. Don't believe it will "just make someone mad." This is a VERY irresponsible statement!

Gunny

This is a VERY irresponsible statement!

That may be so... but I personally prefer something with a little more stopping power. and a caliber of 22 in a firearm will pretty much be the same size as any 380... (unless you want a derringer).

I know a 22 can kill. I've killed many squirrels and birds with them. However, I've never gone deer hunting with them ;)

Last edited:

Bill DeShivs

Personal preference is fine. A .22 will kill more than squirrels-it will kill a HUMAN.
To imply otherwise is irresponsible.

Kreyzhorse

As far as caliber goes the only limitation is it be .22 and above

The world is your oyster! :)

A .22lr, .25acp and .32acp will all kill, but you can find .380s in the same size pistol as some of the smaller cartridges.

Since you want a safety, off the top of my head, take a look at the Beretta Tomcat. It's a .32 but its well made and has a safety. It's also the smallest cartridge I'd want to carry.

Gunny

I still like this little guy! I bought it yesterday and haven't been able to take it to the range yet but I think it's a pretty slick gun!

HPIM1555.jpg

HPIM1557.jpg

Chesster

Personal preference is fine. A .22 will kill more than squirrels-it will kill a HUMAN.
To imply otherwise is irresponsible.

Cancer will kill also but there are quicker and more effective choices for personal defense.

jetsfan

Let me start by saying I normally carry a .45 and I feel it is more than adequate for the job but many will say no it has to be a .40 but that is their opinion. I am looking for a small compact pistol that will go in my pocket and with little weight and personally I have NO doubt that a .22 will get the job done if I ever had to use it. Think about the scenario you would have to use your pocket pistol. Mine would be if an attacker is less than 10 feet away and I felt my life was threatened. At 10 feet if you can't hit a torso target then you don't need the gun to begin with. Also, I don't want it so that I can hold off several armed attackers or whatever scenarios many dream up. This is a self defense/last ditch pistol. If I were planning on needing 13rds to defend myself then I would take my XD but first I would have to think "what the hell am I doing in this situation?" Just my opinion and yes I would prefer .380 but a .22 is much smaller and it or .32 will work just the same.

Gunny

I just don't think that a .22 is smaller than a 380 except for the actual ammunition. I own many .22 handguns... Walther P22, Ruger Straight Six, Sig Mosquito etc... But they are all actually the same size is my Micro Eagle if not larger. I'm actually pretty certain that they are larger. I'll see if I can get a pic up for comparison.