Smallest "good" .22 Double Action?

TruthTellers

While I like my NAA's and their build quality I do find their function limiting in that to make them more concealable small grips have to be used and their spur triggers are just not nice. I have learned how to shoot with them, can hit 10 inch plates at 50y with the Minimaster, but for up close fast and quick use... the NAA is a major strugglebus for me.

Years ago I was big into the Rossi Princess because it was a double action .22 LR that was just super small. Over time I understood its build quality was very much lacking and since I wasn't going to spend the money on a Ladysmith, so I kept looking for something else.

At some point I discovered that I really liked the H&R Young America revolver. I bought a .32 version earlier this year, have had a lot of fun investigating its quirks and capabilities (was really pleased when I found the chambers were bored straight thru and could chamber and shoot .32 wadcutters) and when I saw that there was a .22 Long model on auction last week that was in good condition, I had to get it. I figure at worst it'll be a much cheaper gun to practice point shooting with.

It's on its way, but I'm now thinking that it may just be a top option for a small DA .22 revolver because, while it's not .22 LR I don't see .22 Short or Long from a snub being unable to deal with a threat if shot in the face or head. Sights will be a bit tricky to figure out, but I think I'll manage and I doubt sights on any other small .22 DA would hit much closer to the POA.

Anyway, for very small .22's, like smaller than a J frame, what do you like?

Butzbach

Do you consider a S&W Model 317 a J Frame?

I carried a S&W Model 317 2” .22 LR (8 shot) while cycling for many years. I was surprised to find during a range trip that the cylinder froze before I finished one box of 50 rds fired at a moderate but not rapid pace. Once it cooled down it functioned again. While this may not affect your shot to the face criterion, I found it unnerving. That a revolver from a premier manufacturer would behave this way was to me unacceptable for a defensive firearm. I realize that 8 or even 16 rounds should do it in the scenario you posit. But given the choice between one that could fire 50 without fail and one that could not I’d choose the former every time.

I write to share my experience as a caution in case this weapon becomes a candidate of yours. Good luck with your search and do keep us posted.

TruthTellers

How about the High Standard Sentinel? https://www.gunbroker.com/item/912250277
Looks like it's about the size of a J frame, if not bigger. Not something I would put in the very small category like the Rossi Princess or HR Young America.

I put focus on the "smaller than a J frame" because my thinking is if I'm gonna carry or otherwise use a J frame revolver, I'm not going to choose .22 over .32 or .38, however for a revolver with a smaller frame and lighter weight (the H&R weighs 7oz) I would.

wild cat mccane

At the end of November, Diamondback is a swing out DA/SA SA styled piece of crap?

I've owned 5 Diamondback DB9s. Even Taurus walked away from a partnership with the company.

reddog81

A small .22 DA is an interesting concept. The J frame is much larger than necessary for a .22 lr and the NAA options are nice but too small for my taste and SA only. You would think someone could make up an alloy or polymer frame gun for a reasonable price.

aarondhgraham

You would think someone could make up an alloy or polymer frame gun for a reasonable price.

Any of the gun manufacturers can create what you want,,,
It's a matter of them predicting enough profit from the endeavor.

If they thought there was a profitable market,,,
They could have one out in a year.

I haven't seen one in the wild as yet,,,
But Taurus does have their Model 942 on their website.

It looks J-frame equivalent to me though.

Aarond

Bill DeShivs

The Princess is about perfect, if it were made out of modern materials.
There are quite a few D/A .22 automatics that meet your criteria. Even better, a Beretta model 20 .(25 acp) is a great little gun.

rodfac

To my knowledge there is no quality .22 LR DA revolver smaller than the J frame.
I agree Bill...but some, if not all J-frames in my experience have needed a trigger or action job of some sort to smooth them up to normal "K" frame right out of the box standards. My Smith M63 is no exception...great accuracy in SA use, but its heavy, somewhat gritty DA trigger precludes real precision. With over 2000 dry fire and live fire actuations, it's marginally better...but hope lies eternal. And while I'm gripping: that abominable fiber optic POS front sight doesn't help matters either. Why put a "combat?" sight on a .22 that would other wise be a great recreational/trail/plinking gun?

Best Regards. Rod Pic of the M-63

Last edited:

Wheelie_Fan

There's the Charter Pathfinder....

I have one and like it. While the frame& cylinder (in my mind) "feels" smaller than a j-frame, it is roughly the same size according to a quick google search, the barrel is only available 4 inch or 6 inch.

if you're looking for small... a semi-auto in .25 or .32 might be the ticket, as mentioned earlier... and you get centerfire "reliability". Beretta, Seecamp, among the more recognizable...

While i can't deny that NAA makes a solid, quality gun.... At a certain point, small can be a hinderance and not a help.

Bill DeShivs

Beretta 21 .22, Beretta 950 .25, Keltec P32, Browning .25, etc.
There just isn't a small D/A .22 revolver that is any good.

s3779m

Beretta bobcat.

21abobcat_listing_mobile003.png

darkgael

This is my back pocket gun when I am bird hunting. I have not seen a smaller .22 DA

Attachments

• 38C7BA27-E38D-4536-9B90-CC9F94D57A47.jpeg
    38C7BA27-E38D-4536-9B90-CC9F94D57A47.jpeg
    371.7 KB · Views: 147

V-fib

have you ever tried the clip grip for your NAA? I really like mine. I frequently carry the NAA as a backup for my 642.

TruthTellers

I don't know if you'd consider this good, and it's not a revolver. The High Standard 22lr derringer is very small and double action only.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/913373272

I understand that some people take off the grips and put it in a wallet.
Interesting gun to bring up in this topic, better than all the semi autos people keep posting about in the revolver section, but the major issue with the High Standards is they're only two shots. Granted, it's two shots with .22 Mag, but you're hoping for no duds in either of those two shots while a dud in a 7 round cylinder like the H&R I brought up has 6 more behind it.

Very hard to beat.