Smallest caliber Old West pistols (mass produced)

TXAZ

I know Colt made a .36 caliber Paterson revolver. Did anyone make a mass produced revolver that was a smaller caliber?

Seamus Mc

.22 rimfire was popular back in those days just as it is now. Dozens of different handguns came in .22. Also, .31 caliber was used in the 1863 Remington revolver shooting a .315 roundball. No doubt others will come up with more examples.

Seamus.

HiBC

I am not a Colt SAA historian,I might be wrong,but I have read there were more 32-20 SAA's produced than any other cartridge( Back in those days)

Scorch

Smallest caliber Old West pistols
"Old West" as in 1870s? 1890s? 32 caliber was pretty small for anything shooting black powder, but I think there were Colt 1848 Pocket revolvers in 32. Pepper boxes as well. Once metallic cartridges appeared, there were 22 RF (what we call Shorts), 32 RF, 38 RF. Don't remember any 25s in handguns. Colt chambered the 1873 Model P (aka "Peacemaker" or SAA, although the SAA was rightly only the 45) in 32-20, which was considered a pretty hot number back then. S&W had the 32 S&W. But most black powder cartridges needed heavy bullets to make them effective because of low velocity, so the bigger the better.

"I am not a Colt SAA historian,I might be wrong,but I have read there were more 32-20 SAA's produced than any other cartridge( Back in those days)"

No. .45 Long Colt was by far the most produced, followed by .44-40.

Third in the list, though, was apparently .38-40, and a close fourth was .32-20.

Regarding "old west" handguns, realistically any handgun to be found in the east would be found in the west.

But here's an important distinction... despite what Hollywood would have us believe, not every man, woman, and child walked around the "old west" with a pair of Colt, Smith & Wesson, or Merwin & Hulbert .45s in hand tooled Mexican Concha holsters.

By far, probably by a factor of 10 or more, the most popular guns in the old west, and literally across the country, were the smaller solid and break top revolvers chambered in rounds like the .22 Short, the .32 Rimfire, the .32 S&W, and the .38 S&W.

Jim Watson

An article in the 1880s Sacramento Bee said of mining town Bodie, Cal.
"Army or Navy revolvers in belt scabbards are seldom seen, the usual weapon is a Bulldog revolver in a leather or canvas lined coat pocket."
The basic Bulldog was a .442 Webley, but there were many knockoffs in smaller calibers.

The Bee also said Bodie was known as "Bad Shot Gulch" because there were a lot of shootings bur few fatalities.

"No. .45 Long Colt was by far the most produced, followed by .44-40.

Third in the list, though, was apparently .38-40, and a close fourth was .32-20."

It just dawned on me...

Obviously, the Peacemaker was adopted by the military in .45, so that would give it a big step up on being the most common chambering.

The other three, though?

It just dawned on me... That was the order of popularity for the Winchester Model 1873 rifle...

Winchester drove sales of the Peacemaker...

T. O'Heir

Paterson revolvers pre-date the "Old West" by about 50 years. It patent date was 1836 and only produced until 1842.
The "Old West" was the 25 or so years roughly from 1865ish to 1890ish. And there were lots of under .36 calibre revolvers. Colts were horrendously expensive and few people could afford 'em. No cowboy(who didn't as rule carry or own any firearm) could ever afford one.

Pathfinder45

The Old West is any time in the West that pre-dates the modern West, i.e. certainly before 1900, and can be further divided into various eras with distinguishing characteristic. For example:
  1. Pre-European contact, i.e., the Neo-lithic West
  2. Early contact by explorers, traders, trapper; the onset of the fur trade.
  3. The collapse of the fur trade; the Oregon trail begins and war with Mexico
  4. The gold rush era.
  5. The Civil War in the West
  6. The Indian Wars
  7. The great cattle drives and the age of the cowboy and open range
That's just a minimal list of episodes in the Old West; but for the sake of brevity, a lot more could be mentioned.

Now, in keeping with the original subject, here is a link to information on Colt's Pocket Percussion Revolvers that were typically 31 caliber: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Pocket_Percussion_Revolvers

Hawg

This is an Allen & Wheelock .22 made in 1858 shown next to a percussion Bacon .31 pocket pistol also made in 1858. The A&W was a ripoff of the Rollin White patent owned by S&W.

P55Mu68l.jpg

Slamfire

But here's an important distinction... despite what Hollywood would have us believe, not every man, woman, and child walked around the "old west" with a pair of Colt, Smith & Wesson, or Merwin & Hulbert .45s in hand tooled Mexican Concha holsters.

The poverty of that period was such, people were starving. I have read several period auto biographies of Westerners and I recall the section in one where the author was hungry, did not have any money, and could not find work.

Guns were expensive, if you are not making enough money to eat, a gun would be something you could never afford.

Gaucho Gringo

I also read that some of the famous lawmen of the 1860-1890 time period would sell their guns when times were tough. The people who settled the different frontier ages were survivors who did what it took to survive.

rkammer

Most history books and events of the times in the Old West would be the period from the end of the Civil War, 1865 to 1895 after which law enforcement became much better.

Hawg

I think the itty bitty 22 Flobert (pre 22 LR) was the smallest bullet out there.

Pre .22 short. :D It wasn't much more than a percussion cap that fired a .22 caliber ball.

Scorch

Really?? 22 Flobert was made for single-shot parlor guns, not for revolvers (that's what the OP asked). I can just see the old Tejano pistolero as he draws his single-shot parlor pistol saying "now pardner, you jes step back so's ye won't git hurt none".

As far as Old West, that to me means before the Civil War (pioneers, settlers, Oregon Trail days). After the Civil War, it was the Wild West (Indian wars, gun slingers, cattle drives). Now I'm sure somebody somewhere has it all written down and will prove me wrong, but that's how I think of it.