small single stack 9mm for cc

rickyjames

i'm looking for a small, light, thin, single stack, easy to carry 9mm for cc. narrowed my search to a taurus model 709 or a kel-tec of simular size. i've got a couple taurus guns that i like and always work well but i have no experience with kel-tec guns. any insights from people who acutally own either of these guns? thanks.

Walt Sherrill

KelTec PF9, Kahr P9, Kahr PM9.

(The P9 will be the most pleasant to shoot.)

I've had a P9 and have a PF9. (Would have kept the P9, but got it at a very good price and was able to sell it for more...)

Charles Ellis

I have had a Kahr P9 and a Kel-Tec P11.I liked both but didn't shoot either very well.The P11 is not a single stack,but is small enough to be very easily hidded.

ClydeFrog

My picks...

For a small light weight single stack model 9x19mm pistol, I'd get either a SIG Sauer DAK; SAS II type, the Kahr compact models, the S&W 3913.
I'm not a huge fan of low end brands like Kel Tec & Taurus.
A used P6 or SIG P225 9mm would be a better pick.

Crankylove

I have been looking at the Springfield EMP in 9mm lately........although it is probably more than you want to spend.......I know its more than I want to :)

jfrey

Check out the Kahr CW9. Fairly small, easy to conceal, light, single stack. What more could you ask for?

wnycollector

I own an keltec PF-9. It is small, lite, thin and reliable. I have almost a 1000 rounds through mine with just a handful of problems. Most of the problems can be attributed to me. Things such as, my thumb hitting the mag release or the slide during recoil, an occasional FTE with a dirty extractor. I carry mine IWB with a kydex grandfather oak hidden companion holster. It is a great CCW pistol for the $$$.

Another great choice in a bigger package are the S&W single stacks (e.g. 3913/3914, 908 and CS9). They a reliable beyond words and tough as nails.

jreXD9

PM9, CW9, CW45....I have all 3 and all are easy to carry, especially the PM9. The PM9 has less recoil than the Sig P238 I had and it has only a little more than the CW9. I had a KelTec PF9 and won't have another....no sirree...
If $ is an issue, get the CW9 or the CW45. Both can be had new for $450 or less. The PM9 new will run you +550.

varoadking

Got my eye on the new Kahr 9 with manual safety. Somebody stop me pleaseeeeeee...........

I can't imagine anyone wanting a DAO piece with a manual safety, unless your local laws require it...

The Kahr line of handguns is exceptional...I have 5 of them...no safety and all...

BillCA

I'm not a fan of combat tupperware, so I'll suggest looking at the S&W Model 3913 or 3914.

My beat up old 3914NL fits your description, with night sights to boot. It's slim, lightweight (25oz), 8-round magazine, 3½" barrel, DA/SA pistol. It'll fire Speer 124gr GDHP with very good accuracy and modest recoil.
3914-716.jpg

Similar models would be the S&W 908, 395x, and the CS-9 which is even smaller and lighter (20.5 oz).

jaughtman

+1 on the HK P7....

IF you can find a police trade-in (otherwise you are going to drop 900+) AND you are comfortable with an all-steel (not a lightweight) pistol. If so, you will have a slim, trim, super-accurate (I mean as in "one of the most accurate pistols you will shoot no matter what the size) almost-fail-safe pistol. I got one, and the only thing keeping it from being the ONLY 9MM I carry (it already is the CC one) is that if I am not CC'ing (car carry, out hunting, etc.) I like the 15+ rounds in my CZ.

J

Another vote for the Kel-Tec PF-9. It's the smallest, lightest 9mm commercially available at a reasonable price (unlike the Rohrbaugh). I carry one in an IWB tuckable holster, and it just disappears even under a knit T-shirt. :cool:

Recoil is stiff, but not unmanageable. I put on some stick-on grip pads http://www.ktaddons.com/products.htm at the top of the backstrap so the rough frame wouldn't wear a hole in the back of my thumb. I'm completely satisfied with mine. Wouldn't be afraid of the Taurus (my "serious social occasions" piece is a PT-145 Millennium Pro) but it's a bit larger, especially thicker, than the Kel-Tec. So is the Walther PPS.