Small Semi's

roy reali

I want to buy a small semi auto pistol. I want it as a carry gun. But, I also want one that is accurate enough to do informal plinking and even short range vermin control.

When I go to the gun store, they have a case full of various models of small pistols. They are usually chambered in .380ACP or .32ACP. I am going to opt for the larger round.

So, is there a small .380 pistol that is accurate enough to hit something smaller then a BG at reasonable ranges?

zombieslayer

Most accurate 380 iove ever shot was a CZ83. All metal, and not a pocket gun, but very carry-able. Another would be a Walther. They've made lots of great .380's. The LCP I carry almost every day would be of little use for vermin control. Just my 2cents

ET.

The .380 Taurus TCP wouldn't be a good choice for vermin either. I carry it as a last resort shoot until it runs out kind of gun. The mouse guns are for that purpose. If you want something more than that then I would get a good compact 9mm gun. It could serve as a home protection, self defense & vermin gun. Just saying...

jaughtman

If you can find one....

for a reasonable price, A Walther PPK or PPK/S are far more accurate than any small 380 could be expected to be - I routinely shoot better groups with mine at the range than I do with several of my full-size pistols. A little heavy for a true pocket gun (it is all-steel), it carries nicely in a IWB clip on holster and is pretty much just as concealable that way. I think it is a perfect "halfway" gun if you want something to plink with AND carry concealed.

J

Last edited:

Kiawah

Vermin control or rat/snake shot, typically doesn't have enough recoil to reliably cycle/feed semi-auto's. So those bullets are best in a revolver, or you plan to manually load and hand cycle in a semi. I carry a small .22 magnum revolver carried just for vermin purpose, with the first two rat shot. On my property, I am more likely to need rat shot, than encounter a BG. I wouldn't want to be trying to hit a snake slithering across the grounds, or a rat running, without rat/snake shot.

Heading out, I take a 9mm PM9, or one of my 380's (depending where I'm going, what I'm wearing, and how I feel).

I do have other rat shot I can put in a couple of my larger semi's just in case, but I'm not carrying those rat shot around and would take longer to acquire. I don't remember ever seeing it for a 380 though, you should check CCI website.

So if you separate out vermin control, you have a wide variety of semi's that you could look at. If you really must have one gun does all, I'd suggest a revolver.

Last edited:

IMTHDUKE

Try one....you'll like it.
62520996573188.jpg

Jimmy10mm

In spite of all the problems members of this forum have reported on the SigP238 mine has been trouble free and is a great little pistol. If you like the 1911 format you'll love the P238.

Coltman 77

Take a moment and check out a Walther PPS in 9mm -- a true service caliber.

Just slightly bigger than a PPK and the other pistols mentioned in this thread.

The PPS is very small and easy to conceal. Uber accurate and reliable.

Daryl

Colt used to make a scaled down Gov't model, identical in operation to the 1911 from what I remember, but scaled down and chambered for the .380. The one I shot was very accurate.

Also, they made a similar "Mustang", and "Mustang +2" that were wonderfully accurate and dependable for me.

I don't even know now when they last made them, but they were great little guns.

Daryl

KyJim

A Bersa .380 is a reasonably priced pistol that should do the job. I can pocket carry and it fits about like a J-frame revolver but a bit thinner. I usually carry mine in a belt holster, however, and a smaller .380 in my pocket.

AK103K

SIG P230/232. P238 maybe, if you could shoot it first and know it works. Still not as nice a shooter as the 230/232's though.

German PPK's and PPK/s's are decent too, but they are a good bit heavier, and tend to make you bleed, and their DA triggers are not all that great.

I'd also look into the Glock 26 in 9mm too. More power and more versatile.

Mike-Mat

I recently purchased an NAA Guardian 380. Solid Stainless Steel , so it's a little on the heavy side. But fits my hand nice and has a great solid feel. It does have a heavy trigger pull. Pretty accurate. Over all nice gun.

I found these useful.
This one shows break down of several 380's. He cant seem to get the Guardian slide off (just doesn't know how), But it's super easy. Much easier than the keltec ot ruger types.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG9OclIlCXM

Shootout comparison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N16eTHbTNH0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLe83HC8P2M&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP8ybeokDwA&feature=channel

I found these interesting.

Mike Mattera

Mike-Mat

Skip the 9mm and get a 45 auto.

No wait...

Skip the 45 auto and get a S&W 50 cal.

No wait... Now I need a bigger pocket? :D

Mike

Hoss Fly

Skip .380 and find a small 9mm. CZ makes the Rami which is a great little pistol based on the 75B

Why must there allways be one of these?
The OP did'nt ask a dam thing about a 9mm -------------

obxned

Don't forget the CZ-82. Super accurate, and inexpensive because it is surplus. The 9mm Makarov cartridge it shoots is cheap and very available.