small SA/DA 9mm w/easy to rack slide

:::::edit::::::
i ended up buying an sti spartan V 9mm on a whim. we'll see how she does with that. i've been meaning to pick up a 9mm 1911 anyways.

i thought i would start looking for a small 9mm for my fiance.
she likes to come shooting with me, but most of my fullsize
guns are too small for her tiny hands,
and my compact guns are too hard to rack the slide.
she loves to shoot my cz pcr,
but she can't rack the slide herself,
even after she cocks the hammer back.
i definitely want to stick with DA/SA pistols in 9mm only.
any ideas?

again SA/DA 9MM SEMIAUTOS ONLY

Last edited:
i have not, but i don't have high hopes for it.
if it's anything like my pf9, the muzzle flip will be way too much for her.
also it's not SA/DA.
preferably something heavy to reduce felt recoil.
i don't need anything quite that small either.
like i said, she likes the pcr.

Hansam

Get her a revolver.

Most small handguns in a service caliber will be difficult to rack for most women. My wife can rack the slide of almost any autoloader I put in her hands but that's because she's been shooting with me ever since we got together.

Most women who don't have a lot experience under their belts won't be able to rack the slide of most handguns... my wife's friend who had never shot a gun in her life till last weekend couldn't rack the slide of my Ruger Mk II .22 pistol and that's a fairly easy slide to work.

In all fairness get your fiance a revolver like the Ruger LCR till she is a more experienced and confident shooter.

Why DA/SA?

If the size of the grip is a problem, the Springfield EMP is definitely something worth checking out.

[EDIT: Deleted Kahr suggestion--Kahrs are pretty tightly wound. Maybe not the best if racking slide is a problem.]

firespec35

If you just want a range toy why don't you try something full size. The mass will tame muzzle flip and a lot of times manipulating the slide comes down to technique. Id suggest something like a s&w 5906 or if that's too fat maybe a 39, or a 9mm 1911.
The technique that was taught to my wife was keep a shooting grip with the strong hand. Grab the slide overhand with the weak. Use the strong hand drive the lower of the piston forward as hard as she can while keeping a strong grip on the slide with the weak hand.

BDM 9MM

I would have her handle a CZ 2075, Rami BD, 9mm. This gun is really smooth and no effort at all to rack the slide. Another choice would be to find an older S&W, 3919 "Lady Smith". This gun is a single stack 9mm with a very thin profile - designed for women!!! Good luck in your search - hang in there and you will gain a shooting partner. Dan

Mrgunsngear

She does need to try but the FNX with small backstrap is pretty thin.
DSC00830.jpg

Slide is smooth. My girl (5'4'', 125) can rack it FWIW

i was actually thinking of the bersa 9mm, but it looks a lot like my old bersa uc45, and that things hammer bit me up. i'll def have her give the lady smith and fnx a try.

mdThanatos

You mentioned she has small hands, but I will suggest a Stoeger Cougar for her to try. It might be a bit bulky in the grip but getting one in her hand will confirm if it is. It has an easy to rack slide when the hammer is cocked back.

I would also try a SigPro 2022 to see how that one fits, I looked at one and it was pretty easy to rack the slide as well.

The suggestion to check some full size models that might fit her hand and to go to a store and try out any models you can are something to consider.

mdThanatos

Has she tried out the regular CZ75, I noticed you had it listed in your sig, not sure if that is still in your possession or not.

she actually hasn't tried the fullsize 75b yet. i think it's actually the small size of the slide that makes it hard for her to rack. you can't really use as much of your hand to grip it as other handguns.

PITT5150

Beretta PX4 Storm
FNH FNX/FNP
S&W 3913
Walther P99 AS
HK P2000
Sig P239
CZ P01

You might wanna check out whichgun.com