Small revolvers you can actually use.......

Mastrogiacomo

Here's the question, everyone brags about their J frame or other small frame revolvers, that they "carry often" yet (most, if not all) shoot little...those that claim to shoot it frequently speak of "feeling it" in the hands after extended use....so I'm curious, what small revolver do folks own that they use at every range trip for an extended period of time without issues...and actually feel no discomfort shooting? For me, it comes down to two: the smallest I'll go is my SP DAO - beyond that, the lightest gun I'm willing to carry in a J frame is a S&W 36.

Laura

weblance

The easiest shooting snub I have is my SP101 2" DAO. Next would be a tie between my Taurus 905(9mm) and my S&W 638. Worst is my LCR .357

If you really want small, easy shooting, I have an LCR-22, Charter Arms Pathfinder 22, or Taurus 94. All snubs.

chesterfield

My SP101 .357 Mag. 2.25" doesn't give me any trouble. The only time I had an issue with it was when I shot some 180 grain cast core hunting ammunition out of it. That day I was definitely "feeling it".

ckpj99

Unless you have some sort of preexisting issue in your wrist or hand, I think practice develops your muscle memory to accommodate the recoil. In other words, you get used to it.

Also, choose a grip that fits your hand well. I shoot my Model 36 every time I go to the range because that's what I carry. I have a Hogue wood grip on it, the kind with three finger grooves.

If I shoot 200 rounds or so in a day, then sure I feel a little soreness, but that's a really a big day at the range for me. And frankly, if I ever have to shoot that many rounds in a real life situation, then my hand being sore is the least of my worries. lol

Gunn Smithy

The J Frame is all about grips for prolonged shooting and shooting comfort. I've had just about every model of stainless J Frame with just about every kind of grip on it. My preference would have to be a model 649 with the shrouded hammer, but still can cock it for single action shooting. A bit bulkier for carry however. So now I just have a regular model 60. Grips are now a no brainer at first selecting the Hogue snap on compact grips but QUICKLY dumped that idea when I tried to remove them for general maintenance only to find out these were single use grips. I had to disintegrate the grips just to get them off. I then selected the standard Hogue grips for that model, only I selected them in the original nylon. A firmer more controlled grip and nothing to snag on clothing as in their rubber grips. In fact of all my guns (all have Hogue Grips), all are snubbies and all have Hogue nylon grips save one and that is for my Ruger Alaskan which has the factory supplied Hogue Tamer grips. Smithy.

44 AMP

Staff
Unless you have some sort of preexisting issue in your wrist or hand, I think practice develops your muscle memory to accommodate the recoil. In other words, you get used to it.

Yes, and, sadly, no. There are limits to what is safe, actually. And that limit is the .357 in pocket snub revolvers. AND the amount of shooting over time that you do.

We all have a "preexisting condition" in our wrists and hands. You do "get used to it" with practice, BUT, there is such a thing as too much practice.

Look at the professional athletes, people who push the envelope with their bodies. Their natural abilities, combined with their practice allows them to do more and take more than the rest of us.

BUT, there comes a time, and a point when physical damage results. Shooting hard kicking loads out of the smallest, lightest guns will result in nerve damage, if you go beyond your limits.

Most people never reach that point. A few do, and they tell me the road to recovery is not fun. A friend of mine, a dedicated shooter with decades of experience went too far one summer. Seriously into load development, he fired actually thousands of .357 rounds from the small frame guns (several were used) over the course of a single summer.

This left him with serious nerve damage in his hands and arms. He has recovered, to the point where he can shoot an entire box of 9mm before he has to stop, but it has taken years. He gets most of his shooting pleasure from .22 these days.

Everybody is different, so the point where things go from safely tolerable to causing damage is different. And the damage is the kind of thing that creeps up on you.

We are all "men of iron" inside our own heads, and sometimes in front of our friends, but really, we're just flesh & blood, and there are limits. The older you get, the more this lesson is clearly taught.

Practice all you need, but when you start "feeling it" you're in a place that you would be better off not being in. The more you get there, the easier it is to get there. And the harder it gets to leave.

Micahweeks

It's been said, but the SP101 is very usable at the range... provided you aren't trying to shoot the really overpowered rounds. I normally shoot 158 grain semi jacketed lead hollow points. The ones I shoot aren't the 1600-1800 fps stuff. I think they're just under 1400. I can shoot them from an SP101 just fine. I wouldn't go shooting hundreds in a session, but I could easily put out a box of fifty and feel fine. Now, I've shot an SP101 with wooden boot grips on it. I don't think I'd enjoy shooting a box of fifty out of that one. But, the ones with the rubber grips aren't too bad.

Still, though, out of small frame revolvers, I don't see much of a need to even load .357. There's .38 +P loads out there that are pretty danged effective. Someone just posted a video of one on TFL recently that got something like 22 or 23 inches of penetration with impressive expansion. It's just not worth the extra punishment to me to bother with the .357 in a short barrel gun if .38s can do that. It's not that .357 isn't more powerful. It's just today's .38s are more than powerful enough. I'm not really into the overkill thing.

Nathan

So, I used to carry my M640 alot and shoot it a little. Frankly, it was not shot alot due to the grips being small, 357's being "heavy", sight radius was short for shooting long distances.

If I wanted to shoot 100 plus rounds per session, I think a S&W M13 3" would be a better fit for shooting alot due to sight radius and larger grips.

2damnold4this

I don't have a problem shooting my 642 for extended periods with standard pressure .38s. I don't see the point in shooting large numbers of expensive .38+p carry rounds in practice. I shoot mostly my cheap reloads in practice and I dry fire sometimes when not at the range. I did put some wood grips from Altamont on the 642 that make it easier to carry (no rubber snagging on clothes) but they don't make it any easier (or harder) to shoot.

My hat is off to those who have no problem shooting hot .357s through light weight Js and LCRs but that isn't for me.

L_Killkenny

Timing of this post is spot on for yesterday I bought my first J-frame.....

While I'm sure the Pachmayr's have something to do with such things recoil was not anywhere even close to objectionable. I've had other experience with 2" SP101 and .357M's are fine in it even for my inexperienced SIL.

Whirlwind06

I put actual grips on my j frame and have no problem with shooting a box ammo though it. Not much into pocket carry so a bigger grip is not an issue for me.

NotMeNotYou

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread.If so, my apologies.While not J frames, My 2.5" model 19 sporting Uncle Mike's Boot Grips & a Ruger 2.25" SP101 with Eagle Grips Rosewood Secret Service grips are the most difficult pistols I have ever tried to control. I favor full house 125gr. .357 with both. Is this just the nature of the beast? Any advise (other than using .38's or shooting my 4" L frames) would be most welcome. Thanks, JMM

P.S. By "Full House" I'm not talking Buffalo Bore or Corbon, most common are Federal Hi-Shoks and the like.

Last edited:

bedbugbilly

I switched from a Ruger LCR to a Model 36 for carry. While the LCR was a decent, light and easy carry . . i just couldn't get over the look of it (and I love Rugers . have a number of them - all great). I just prefer the feel of a "steel" handgun. My 36 snub is still wearing the factory grips and I shoot it on a regular basis and it goes to the range each time. I can manage to get about a 100 rounds through it though and then the grips have hammered my hands enough.

I really do believe it's "all about grips" on the small ones. I know I need to switch the grips on my 36 - just looking until I find a set that fit my hand well. In my opinion, the stock grips are sort of like gripping a piece of 2 X 2. With a better grip I'm sure I would be able to probably shoot twice what I'm currently shooting through it when it's range time. I'm 61 and I know that I'm feeling recoil more now than I used to when I was younger. But, in the end, I've very satisfied with the 36 for carry.

I've looked and handled the SP101 and I do like them. I'd like one in a 3" for carry (I carry OTB) and just holding them, I can tell that they probably are pretty decent in the "felt recoil" of them. I just haven't had the opportunity to shoot one yet. So many guns . . so little time . . . :D:rolleyes:

SaxonPig

Despite its miniscule size and weight this not bothersome at all to shoot unless shooting some really jacked hand loads (which I have done).

standard.jpg

jglsprings

I must agree with my Saxon friend...

4323651868_9b544bf3e4_z.jpg

I shoot this a lot. But, I must admit they are not full house 357 Magnum loads. I love shooting 38 target loads for hours through this Model 60. I get lots of trigger time and run a few carry rounds through it at the end of the day. I carry the Gold Dot Short Barrel 38 +P or the LSWC HP FBI load.

I don't feel under gunned.

YMMV

Deja vu

I practice with my S&W 640. I have a set of ugly Ergo grips on them that really do feel good and help the recoil slightly. I carry ammo is winchester 110 grain 357 magnum so they are harder hitting than 38+p but still on the low end of 357 magnum.

I reload to nearly the same velocity and bullet and practice with it nearly every range trip.

this is the factory image but it looks like mine

4581-swj-1.jpg

not as nice of a pick but this is mine:
0316141948.jpg

the grips seem to help with recoil. It makes you hold higher on the grips. Id say a 25% perceived recoil reduction.

Last edited:

ckpj99

I completely agree! Shooting lots and lots of .357 isn't smart. That being said, I think most people can handle shooting 100 rounds of .38 Special every few days without too much consequence, so long as the right form and grips are used.

There's definitely a line though. I just don't see the point of shooting hundreds of heavy loads in one range visit. Shooting .38 in your .357 would help alleviate a lot of pain.

Microgunner

I own a Chiappa Rhino 2" 6-shot. 357mag. revolver.
Externally it's dimensionally nearly the same size as a j frame but even with hot. 357s it's recoil is amazingly controllable.
It's like magic.