Small reliable single stack handgun?

gac009

What are the best small reliable handguns you would consider for consealed carry? I would like to stick with .40, .45, .357 and 9mm. Its about time I started to carry and I have decided to put all other purchases aside and get a CC gun. I am looking for something small and reliable. Single stack would be preferable but comments about double stacks are fine. I just need some ideas to start with.

Compacts/sub-compacts/ultra-compacts only please. If you are going to post about a large or full size gun that you comfortably carry please refrain as that would be off topic. Thank you :)

Jeff22

single stack concealed carry handgun

I've had a Kahr P9 (the polymer framed one) in 9mm since 2000 that I'm quite happy with. I run about 600 rounds a year through it.

Other people have reported mixed results with the Kahr pistols, particularly in calibers other than 9mm.

I have a couple of friends who have Sig 239's in .40 (one in traditional DA/SA and one with the DAK trigger system) and they like them. I've shot both guns and found them pleasant to shoot.

BobK

Kahr
Sig P245, P225, P220 Compact
1911 Commander or Officer
S&W Chiefs Special 9MM or 40
Taurus PT Series
Bersa Thunder

'75Scout

I don't like polymer frames so much. But I have a Kahr K40 Covert that I love and have had zero problems with so far. I like any of the steel framed Kahrs. Or the Sig 239, 232, 245, 220 Carry (though the Carry still has a full size grip). But the small auto that I want the most would be the Rohrbaugh R9.

NWCP

I like my Kahr PM9, or my HK P7M8 for concealed carry. Both have been very reliable. The P7M8 is the more accurate of the two having a longer fixed barrel.

Anon

Do you have a price range in mind? The smaller of the Kahr's are reliable, small, accurate (for their purpose), and have a dedicated following.

For a really decent, inexpensive (but still reliable) compact, don't overlook the Kel-Tecs. Really compact.

chris in va

Here's my take.

You won't enjoy firing some of the 'snappier' calibers in a small CCW, which means range time with them will be very short.

For example, I rented a short 1911 a while back and couldn't put more than 10 rounds through it without wanting to exchange it.

The 40's are even worse. Very sharp recoil in the small guns.

My P11 9mm isn't pleasant to shoot, but I try to get at least 3 mags through it at the range.

Not saying don't get a larger caliber CCW, just something to think about.

elwaine

"Small" is a relative term. Are you looking to carry it in your pants or jacket pocket (Kahr PM9 or PM40 - if you can handle the extra kick), or are you able to carry it in an ITW holster? The latter opens up a long list of good, "small" guns. One of my favorite, of late, is the XD SC in 9mm - comes in a .40 cal. also.