small primers

DUB

Reloaders,
Is Federal Champion 230 grain FMJ RN brass with small primers suitable
for reloading? This is what I shoot,and I don't reload,but I save my brass
to sell. If no one will buy it, I want to quit saving it. Let me know if it is
useful for reloading.I don't have enough to sell yet,just thinking ahead.

condor bravo

I assume you are talking about .45 ACP. If the small primer is the only thing questionable, then yes it is reloadable. Probably similar to Winchester's small primer .45 rounds. Make the buyer aware that it is small primer.

Last edited:

T. O'Heir

As long as you make it very clear that it uses small primers, it'll be fine. Like Condor says, Winchester started this nonsense a few years back with their Non-Toxic(NT) brand. Only matters if you mix 'em with regular brass.
"...and I don't reload..." You will. Shooting factory all the time gets expensive quickly.

Nick_C_S

As long as you make it very clear that it uses small primers, it'll be fine.

Exactly. Make sure the buyer knows they're sp's.

There are some loaders who prefer the sp 45 ACP brass. I however, are not among them. I but I do keep my 45 sp brass for any future zombie apocalypse ;)

Sevens

I load far more LP in .45 but I do load the SP also and it works just fine. In fact, I'll typically keep a couple boxes of it loaded in reserve, ready for when I end up shooting somewhere that I am sure I will lose brass. I'd rather lose the SP stuff.

condor bravo

Selling the small primer .45 brass:

I would suggest that selling the brass will be improved if you accumulate a fairly large quantity for sale rather than just a 100 or less. Chances are likely that a buyer will be using a progressive press which could then require making a change over in .45 reloading from large primer setup to small primer. Some, especially those who have not loaded small primer brass, would not find this worth while for just a handful of cases. 200 or more would likely be considered worth the change over effort.

dickttx

I switched from LP 45 ACP to SP a few months ago. To make it worthwhile I bought 4k of once fired brass. My two most loaded rounds are 45 ACP and 38 Super. Now I don't have to guess how many of each to buy. I just buy all small primers.:)

Red Dog

I only use LP for 45 acp. While I do have about 100 sp 45 I'm still trying to get more. Then no need to change over to lp.

Deja vu

Long ago I had the opposite problem. I had about 100-150 357 magnum cases that took large pistol primers. over the years I have misplaces them but they where an oddity.

rclark

Only keep the standard LP .45 ACP brass around here. The SP brass stays on the ground or in the round file if I run across any.

Your call on keeping it.

G_P

Small primer .45 brass is just fine to reload. It becomes a pain when one gets mixed in with the large primer brass and you try to mash a large primer in a small hole.

I reload the SP brass when I get a few hundred of them. I keep those stored away and will bring them out if its raining and I dont feel like getting all wet collecting my brass that did not stay under the covered firing line.