small pistol vs small rifle primers

Dave R

Nope. My understanding is small rifle will take higher pressure than small pistol.

Personal experience bears that out. I have a wildcat .17/.357 mag. Used small rifle primers on it. Ran out once, and thought that, since the brass was pistol brass, I could use pistol primers. First 3 I fired pierced. Never used pistol primers in that load again.

jimaw2

I'm running low on small pistol and have a bunch of small rifle I was going to try on my .357 rifle. they are low end loads so i'll give it a try. i'll let my buddy shoot the first 50 though, just in case;)

45_auto

Only problem you'll have using SR instead of SP is if you have installed light springs in your pistol. The SR have thicker cups, and are therefore slightly harder to ignite. Lighter springs can lead to misfires.

They're commonly used in the high pressure cartridges (38 super, 40 s&w, etc) by competitive shooters.

I can't remember the last time I used a SP primer. I bought a bunch of Wolf SR at $12/1000 and have been using them for several years. Probably gone through 20,000 38 special, 357 mag, 9mm, 40 s&w, and 38 super with them with no problems at all.