Small pistol magnum MATCH???

Sharkbite

I was in a local gun shop and they had Small pistol magnum MATCH primers.

Small pistol…ok
Magnum…ok
Match….ok

But what caliber needs all of those requirement.

Now i know you can use match primers in place of “non-match”. Match just give you more consistent ignition. But substitution isnt the reason these exist. There must be a load that requires Small pistol magnum match primers

Any insight?

NoSecondBest

Putting “match” on the box is an indication that they are guaranteed to be more consistent than non-match. The process if making primers is (or was) an off-line operation where operators added the priming compound to the cup. When they had their “best” operator do this they’d add “match” to the product and charge a bit more money for the primers. It really doesn’t mean much of anything. There are a couple of good videos out there showing how primers are made.

IMtheNRA

There is no load data that requires match primers. I assume you're referring to Federal GMM primers, which are excellent based on the results I've observed having used about 10,000 of them in .357 magnum ammunition.

FrankenMauser

Sounds like a good primer for the high maintenance crowd. .327 Federal, .22 Hornet, 9x25mm, .30 Carbine, etc.
Reducing the variability of primers would be helpful in taming these finicky cartridges.

Or anyone needing SP Magnum and wanting to try to improve quality.