Small, light, thin 380 for pocket carry

603Country

I am looking for a carry 380. This would be a pocket pistol. I looked at a Sig P238 and liked the size, but not that I’d have to thumb the hammer back prior to use. I’ll have a look at the Ruger LCP II and the Bersa Thunder. I like that the Bersa has a safety and decocker, is DA/SA, and has a good trigger, all of which I am used to, having a Beretta PX4 Type F full-size. But, I read that the Bersa isn’t small. The Ruger is small and DA only, but how is the trigger?

What do you folks have that you like, or don’t like. And did I miss something on the P238?

Ricklin

LCP

I like my first gen. LCP just fine. In a pocket holster of course.

I took me some time ten years back to get comfortable with my G19. So what made the difference?

A good holster that covers the trigger guard. I hear the LCP 2 has a light trigger. No thanks. The original LCP is heavy, but not awful.

TomNJVA

I have the LCP II and like it a lot. The trigger is an SA with a long but light pull, so it definitely needs to stay in the fabric holster it comes with or equivalent until ready to fire. That pretty much holds true for any gun you plan to carry in your pocket.

unclenunzie

The Bersa is compact, but not a micro pocket pistol like the LCP or LCP II. I have all three. The Bersa can serve in a pocket but is more of a small belt gun. It is almost identical in size to a Makarov, but lighter since the Bersa has an aluminum frame. Be aware the Bersa has a mag safety as well as an internal lock in the frame.

They are all good, but if you want something really small and thin go for a micro like the LCP / II, or similar. To give you an idea by weight, my Bersa Thunder with 9 rounds of gold dots weighs 23.7 ounces without a holster. This is only 3 ounces lighter than my Glock 26 with 11 rounds of 9mm gold dots. By contrast, the LCP II fully loaded weighs 13 ounces.

The lightest pistol I have is a keltec P32, good little gun. 8 rounds of 32 acp, just under 10 ounces.

Doyle

2nd gen LCP. Much better trigger than the 1st gen and much better looking and better ergonomics than the LCP II.

unclenunzie

I love my Seecamp pistols (32 and 25s), indeed the tiniest. Though I can't imagine how the Seecamp in 380 wouldn't hurt the hand. Straight blowback which I forgot to mention the Bersa is also. The Seecamps are works of art and not in the same class as the very functional but plastic framed little guys.

Pico fan boy. Have two of them. Also love my Kahr CW380.The Pico is a Beautiful gun with great build quality. Stainless steel receiver, sub-chassis, recoil spring. Modular design, very easy to work on, clean, change grips. Great sights, easy to change out to night sights. Double strike capability. Very low recoil and mild shooting. Beautiful stainless steel mags with metal follower. Look like custom 1911's. Extremely reliable. Built to handle the hottest loads available. Rugged, capable of a lot of rounds down range. Gun has proven itself in all the above.

Last edited:

Sequins

I like the P3-AT and the LCP. I don't like the LCP II though. The seecamp and sig p238 would be the next two I'd look at.

I think the P3-AT and the LCP really are the sweet spot though. P238 is bigger and heavier but more shootable. Seecamp has no sights but even smaller.

603Country

Sequins, why do you prefer the LCP to the LCP II?

I really liked the P238, but just didn’t like the idea of having two options - carry with a live round under the hammer or carrying cocked and locked. I could be Ok with the live round under the hammer, since I think there’s a hammer block, but then I’d have to thumb back that little hammer in a stressful situation if I had to use it. Sweaty thumb and small hammer spur....

rodfac

My wife and DIL have had good luck with S&W's Bodyguard380. Mine has been as near to 100% reliable as I can remember. FMJ's, JHP's, and a variety of my reloads have functioned well. Literally, I can't remember it having any problems.

I like the sights, but have added a bright yellow fingernail paint to the front sight making it easier to pick up in dim light and entirely useable at sub-10 yd distances.

The laser is useless as it's too far out of reach for any practical purpose except in trigger manipulation training. In that mode, it's a real benefit.

The gun fits all of our hands in my family, is easy to carry, flat in the pocket and has enough weight to handle all .380 ammunition and still shoot well.

HTH's Rod

osbornk

I used a Taurus TCP for 5 years until I bought a Taurus Spectrum last summer. The Spectrum has been flawless and weighs only 10 ounces. I bought it only because Rural King had them for $119.99 and they currently have it on sale for $129.99. Because of its size and weight, it disappears in your pocket.

Forte S+W

Back in the Summertime I was looking for a good lightweight .380 Pocket Pistol and after much research, I ultimately chose the Ruger LCP.

The Ruger LCP 10th Anniversary Edition to be precise. It's basically a hybrid between the basic LCP and the LCP Custom. It's essentially an LCP Custom with the smaller sights of the Gen 2 LCP, a Stainless Steel slide, and front/rear slide serrations like the LCP II.

Why did I choose it over the LCP II? Because the LCP has been around longer, had all the kinks worked out, it's lighter, thinner, and based on what I've read, the LCP II's trigger really isn't any better than that of the LCP Custom. Plus, some folks have had a bit of trouble with the LCP II which seems to have been worked out by now, but was still to recent for comfort at the time. Lastly, the Stainless Steel slide was attractive considering its my Summer Carry gun.

I still carry the LCP, but as a BUG now that the weather is cold and I can easily carry a larger, double-stack .40cal pistol.

It isn't comfortable to shoot, but it hits where I aim it at self-defense distances and has been 100% reliable so far. I would highly recommend it to anyone seeking a reliable, lightweight .380 Pocket Pistol.

Last edited:

223 shooter

Got a great deal on a LCP II last July and could not be more pleased - pistol has been 100% reliable , accurate and has a decent trigger. Lightweight and easily fits in the pocket. And I like the slide staying locked back after the last shot which the original LCP did not have.

CDR_Glock

I am looking for a carry 380. This would be a pocket pistol. I looked at a Sig P238 and liked the size, but not that I’d have to thumb the hammer back prior to use. I’ll have a look at the Ruger LCP II and the Bersa Thunder. I like that the Bersa has a safety and decocker, is DA/SA, and has a good trigger, all of which I am used to, having a Beretta PX4 Type F full-size. But, I read that the Bersa isn’t small. The Ruger is small and DA only, but how is the trigger?

What do you folks have that you like, or don’t like. And did I miss something on the P238?

When I used to carry a Sig Sauer P 238 380 ACP I used a wallet holster.

I carried it condition 1. Cocked and locked. I shot it out to 25 yards, easily. Even with controlled pairs.

I used Buffalo Bore Plus P ammunition, though I read there is no Standard for that level. I have given it to my brother in law.

I also had a Glock 43. For some reason it took me a lot of work to get out to 25 yards with it. It was just a bit too small.

I acquired a Sig Sauer P938 9 mm Nightmare. It’s a bit bigger but the trigger is not great. I don’t carry it.

I did acquire a Interarms Walther PPK/S which j love. But, it is so big by modern standards.

I moved up to carrying larger calibers for Concealed carry.
9051977ce9a3246e76fdac136c9afd8d.jpg
fa6861c529ec07c19160b163df88e8e7.jpg

For the woods I’ll just settle for this

6af1088f0297683e0e2927e92e10328e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

stinkeypete

Long ago I sold my Bersa Thunder so I had to buy another. Outstanding price for a pistol I liked a lot better than my ppk. That one I just sold. Better fit and finish, worse trigger and I didn't shoot it near as well as the Bersa that cost less than half as much. It's not a pocket pistol though.