Small-caliber soft points against hostile humans?

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Provided that they feed properly, how well would cheap (no bonded jacket) soft points in 5.56, 5.45 and similar rifle calibers perform against hostile humans? behind cover, like car doors? I am looking for comparison with ball of the same caliber.

Keith J

I have no softpoint data but match HP's (69's and 80's) both penetrate 1/4" of ASTM A500 (~36,000 PSI SMYS) steel at 50 yards. The jacket is stripped off and the lead slug is still moving at a good clip when it is stopped at the opposite wall (A500 is a structual square tube).

I imagine car doors would be even easier and softpoints should be about the same as MKHP's

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
"Bonded Jackets" are a sporting thing - - -

- - so that larger bullets will hold together for a humane kill on game animals. There is one school of thought that fragmentation/separation is a good thing for antipersonnel use. Depending on the type of ball ammo you obtain, and the twist rate of your barrel, the highly-touted "tumbling bullet" of early 55 gr. FMJ in Vietnam era barrels may be greatly reduced, or entirely absent.

As to shooting through car doors, you may or may not succeed in inflicting casualties on the other side. If you use heavy bullets with hardened "penetrators," you greatly reduce effectiveness on exposed soft tissue targets.

My choice for all around use is the 55 gr soft point. My late 1/7 Colt .223 barrel stabilizes these just fine, and they will expand nicely without reliance on tumbling or breaking off at the cannelure. If my budget was unlimited, I'd probably buy a couple of thousand rounds of Remington 55 gr. Core-Lokt PSP and be happy with it. As a matter or experimentation, though, I find that the Ultra Max brand remanufactured ammo, with 55 gr soft point is utterly reliable and terrifically accurate--I can only barely better those groups with my best handloads, actually spending more money on them than on factory Ultra Max. Their FMJ is even cheaper, but I don't get quite the accuracy with it. Haven't tried their 55 gr hollow point load.

I figure I can live with the terminal effects of the .223 SP loads. If ever I decide I need more penetration on attacking car doors or the like, I'll fall back on a .308 or 7.62x39.

I'd steer clear of the 5.45 cartridge for true defensive use. You don't have the bullet/load selection, and not nearly so many handloading options. Also, arms so chambered are not reputed to be particularly accurate as those firing the .223/5.56.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Best,
Johnny

As always, your mileage may vary.