small auto for woman

rodwhaincamo

What are some of the tiniest autos (pocket sized) carrying a punch (9mm or better) that are reliable? I prefer SA or DA, but would consider a DAO if the trigger weight can be reduced to around 6.5 lbs. I love the idea of the Seacamp, but don't care for the 32 ACP round. A 380 ACP would be much better. I don't care much for that round for SD either. I'm kinda partial to the 45 ACP, but the pistols tend to be rather large and heavy (I carried a full size 1911 w/ steel frame OK), and I doubt she'd be comfortable. My girlfriend loves to go to parks on her lunch and walk. Wanting something she can easily carry when she leaves her purse behind. And if I can get some hot pink grips she'd carry it all the more. I want her to have more than pepper spray. I will plan on borrowing/renting some different calibers to ensure she doesn't dislike any. She has only shot her dad's 22 LR, and my 44 with both Spls and a couple standard Mags. She did OK as far as recoil went (we won't talk about how the targets got reused by me). I have even considered a derringer, but would prefer she have more than 2 shots. What say you oh knowledgeable ones???
I'd actually like to see her armed with a 40 S&W or 45 ACP since we do a lot of deep woods hiking. Double as a woodland SD piece.

Last edited:

Madcap_Magician

In hot pink, your choices are... Taurus.

I'll pass.

Your girlfriend needs to make this choice. I love small guns, but Kel-Tec's or Kahr's tiny 9mm guns, well, any tiny 9mm guns require a special touch to shoot. They're a handful.

Mello2u

The issue of felt recoil and control become important when considering a small (little area to grip and control the gun) and light weight (little mass to dampen recoil) handgun. It becomes even more important the less experience a shooter has.

So, consider whether your girl friend has the recoil tolerance, skill and inclination to carry such a handgun. "Try before you buy" would go a long way to determining whether she likes the gun.

Father Time

Madcap..

Doesn't Charter Arms also make a pink .38 called "the pink lady" (I thought I saw an add for one somewhere)

However I'm not a fan of Charter arms any more than Taurus

rodwhaincamo

I'll repaint the grips pink myself if it'll give her the inclination to shoot and carry it enough. Or maybe put some flowers and lady bugs. A duo-tone finish too. Although a tomboy she definately loves the pretty stuff! :rolleyes: Considering getting her a CCL. Not certain that weight would be an issue, but I'd bet that it is to a degree. If I can sell her on a compact 1911 in 45 that'd be the route I'd go, but I feel that with the size and weight she'd probably leave it behind on occasion.

Pahoo

Aside from considerations given to recoil, grip and physical size. Make sure she can operate the slide. Have a buddy that bought his wife a compact S&W 9mm and he has to kick start it for her as she can't work the slide and even broke a nail trying. Funny but she is not afraid to shoot it but is afraid of operating the slide. :eek:

Be Safe !!!

zombieslayer

I know you asking about semi's, but for your criteria, I'd buy a S&W airweight snub. Got my mom a 642 and its light, compact, powerful enough, and it can collect years worth of lint in purses and pockets and will always function.
If you can afford it, by all means, get the Rohrbaugh R9!!!!
Another suggestion I have is a Walther PPS in either 9mm or .40, very slim, beautifully made guns that are awesome for ccw. good luck

DennisD

Remember, small autos are more prone to be limp wristed due to less weight and smaller grips. I suggest you keep her grip strength in mind.

justwondering01

You didn't say how much money you wanted to spend but if your looking at a 1911 style I would look at the Springfield EMP 9mm. That is one sweet looking gun with the cocobolo grips and it feels real nice in the hand. I'm still saving up for one of those.

Last edited:

MTT TL

Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45 ACP.

The wife loves it and is surgical with it. She does not have big hands either.

Availability and pricing are another story.

Doc Intrepid

Another vote for Kahr. The PM-9 is about as small a package (external dimensions) as you'll find in a caliber other than .380 or .32 ACP. There are others to be sure, but the Kahr is a well manufactured option.

The downside is that they are fairly expensive, at least if buying new.

Coltman 77

Walther PPS

Be sure to check out the PPS.

My wife has carried one in 9mm for almost a year now.

It is accurate, reliable (900 rds & no malfunctions), great ergonomics.

WaltherPPS.jpg

ironranger

PHP:
Aside from considerations given to recoil, grip and physical size. Make sure she can operate the slide. Have a buddy that bought his wife a compact S&W 9mm and he has to kick start it for her as she can't work the slide and even broke a nail trying. Funny but she is not afraid to shoot it but is afraid of operating the slide.

For persons having a hard time operating a slide, they can use this procedure to help the process. Rest the arm of the hand holding the slide against the front of your body and push the grip hand forward. In otherwords, instead of pulling the slide back, you are pushing the grip forward. Give it a try, it might work for you.