slugs ?

Jesse1973

Slugs

Was wondering the same thing myself .I have a Mossberg 500 with 8 shots.From what I could tell no one makes a rifled barrel for it to shoot slugs.Would like more of a variety of ammo for it then just buck of any number.

stegar1

i have the same gun. gonna hunt public lands this year and that is all you can use. dont want to buy another one if i dont have to.

oneounceload

With a smoothbore, you use the rifled slugs; with a rifled slug barrel, you use the sabot-type slugs. Don't use the wrong one or your accuracy will suffer

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Most slugs are made to be fired in smooth bore guns.

The exception are the expensive "sabot" slugs. They are a smaller bullet wrapped in a plastic shell that is designed to be spun by rifling like a rifle bullet.

Then, there's the exception to the exception, :D in that some sabot slugs (not many) can also be fired in a smooth bore gun and say so right on the box.

Then there's the other exception that some of the sabot slugs that "can't" be fired in a smooth bore gun will actually perform just fine in a smooth bore gun, particularly if distances are kept to typical smooth bore distances, like 60-75 yards.

Short answer: Yes, but just like a rifle there will be brands that your gun "just doesn't like" and brands that it will shoot lights out. You just have to try a few and see.

Pahoo

Yes, you can shoot or should shoot Rifled Slugs out of a smooth bore. You "could" also shoot sabot slugs out of a smooth bore but it's a waste of your money with questionable performance.:mad:

Be Safe !!!

DPris

Member Emeritus
And, you can shoot rifled slugs in a rifled barrel just fine, too.
People have been doing it for many years.
Denis

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
People have been doing it for many years.

Yes, it does "work" but it's not fun removing the lead fouling from the rifling.

I won't do it because of that reason alone, not to mention that smoothbore guns are generally quite a bit cheaper so why would you bother buying an expensive gun and then shoot slower, heavier, less accurate ammo?

Anyway, yes, you can do it but it certainly lacks in logic.

Pahoo

Yes, but don't go out of your way to buy any for your smoothbore. If I want performance out of my rifled barrel, I will only shoot sabots. Or as they say in Spanish; "Sabotos" ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

thesheepdog

Yes rifled slugs work. Just make sure you read on the box which choke you need to use (if you don't have a choke, then disregard)

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
It wasn't a dumb question and the only thing I will add to what is already posted is I don't recommend shooting slugs with a full choke, especially screw in chokes. Other than that go for it. I have the best luck with a choke between IM and IC. A cylinder bore, at least in my guns tend to be inaccurate but a slight choke seems to tighten the groups up nicely.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
(if you don't have a choke, then disregard)
All shot guns with smooth bore have a choke designation even if it is "cylinder" choke or no constriction at all.

A rifled choke for smoothbore barrel will be safe thru all choke constrictions up to and including "full" for sure. Mossberg claims...
"The *Improved Cylinder* choke tube will produce the best accuracy with most slugs."
Straight from the owners manual.

Brent

DPris

Member Emeritus
There is a risk of lead buildup in rifling when using a rifled slug.
How much depends on the rifling (smooth or rough), the type of rifled slug (soft Foster or harder Brenneke), and how much you shoot those slugs through that bore before cleaning.

I would not let potential lead buildup be the sole determinant in deciding whether or not to use rifled slugs in a rifled barrel.

Denis