Slugs through a MOD choke?

PoorRichRichard

I've got a new little smooth-bored single-shot H&H Pardner 12 gauge with a fixed MOD choke. Some on this site have told me it's okay to put regular slugs (not Salbot slugs) through this gun, being that regular slugs are made of very soft lead. My local gun-smith told me I'd ruin my barrel- and possibly my face. So which is it? Can I put regular slugs through this gun or not.

jmortimer

If you mean a "rifled" slug like Brenneke then yes you can. Check out Brenneke web site. It is not a problem and will work well.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Rifled slugs, in common terminology, are the older Forster ( Usually misspelled Foster) style.

Brenekkes are solid chunks of lead with a separate wad permanently attached.

Forster style slugs are capable of squeezing down considerably and can be shot through most any shotgun and choke.

Brenekkes should NOT be fired through some older double guns but many are safe with them.

Your H&R should be fine with Rifled slugs but they do kick a good bit.

g.willikers

Every 12 gauge I've had was the most accurate with the plain vanilla, so called rifled slugs, through a modified smooth bore barrel.
No harm, ever.

darkgael

the older Forster ( Usually misspelled Foster) style

The rifled slug of that type was invented by Karl Foster in 1931, introduced by Winchester in 1936.
(Brenneke invented the rifled slug that bears his name in the late 19th Century.)

Pete

publius

Sure, you can shoot them. Be forewarned, you had better not be recoil sensitive at all. a slug through a single shot H&R is gonna KICK.