Slugs OK in an Over/Under shotgun?

Sulaco2

I recently went out to spend several days at a "Guest Ranch" to ride and rope and feed cattle. I took with me a Valmet .12ga O/U for the ranch skeet range. Since this is WAY up in the boonies I took some 00 buck rounds and some 1oz slugs. Saw two black bear on the horse trail while out and about. Looking later at the O/U it does not look like the barrels have chokes nor are there any indications of being able to install chokes on this gun. Seem OK to shoot slugs out of this type of gun without damage? I bow to your greater knowledge.

zippy13

Sure, why not? Your Valmet's O/U action is probably a lot sturdier than the typical pump action slugster. And, your Skeet chokes will work fine with slugs or 00-buck. The only short coming will be with your sights, and the only damage may be to your shoulder. ;)

tommyb

Remington 870 with Mod choke

sorry to hyjack your thread, but would a Mod choke be able to shoot slugs? Ive never tried, as i only shoot trap with the gun, but im going to my Grandpas farm in acouple weeks where i can get out of the city and shoot to my hearts content and wanted to try shooting some slugs. How open does the choke have to be to use slugs?

jrothWA

The Valmet should be...

a fixed choke.
Using the foster style slug, will not hurt the choke, as the slug will deform to
pass thru.

accuracy is best will little constriction.

Think Savage first imported under their name, then Vamlet.
Should be a company website for additional info.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Valmet supplied that same receiver with barrels for rifle cartridges, including 9.3X74mm and 30-06.

It'll hold up to shooting Brenekke and Forster (Rifled) slugs. Accuracy may be chancy but it sounds like your mission would be close range crisis management.

To the thread jacker, Modified choke may be too tight for best accuracy, only range testing will tell.

Sulaco2

"Foster Style" slug?

Not familiar with this style of slug is that one that has a sabot? I had with me the standard Remington and Federal slugs. I was concerned about the effect on the barrel/choke with slugs. 00 buck seemed a safe choice for now but if slugs will work even only at close range I would think they would be the round of choice for up close and personal...
may take them along with me to shoot skeet in Seattle as we just trapped a 140 couger in the cities largest park!

rantingredneck

qnl95l.jpg

The slugs you have belong to the overall group known as "Foster" style slugs. Basically a weight forward design with a hollow skirt and angled "rifling" cuts to the exterior. Designed to swage down through a choke and with weight forward for better accuracy. The "rifling" itself doesn't really impart much spin.

jrothWA

You need to add ..

the wad to the Brenneke, that how it preforms so nicely.
Gives it a longer profile compared to the forster slug.

B.L.E.

Don't expect both barrels to shoot to the same point of aim. You'll have to use one barrel or the other for the slug. The second barrel can be loaded with turkey shot in case you see a gobbler.

The bore lines of double rifles converge to compensate for the recoil during the time the bullet is in the barrel, thus, they are regulated for only one bullet weight. On an over/under, you will probably find that one barrel shoots high and the other shoots low with slugs because shotgun barrels also converge to compensate for the greater muzzle jump of the top barrel and since slugs are lighter than most shot loads, the barrels are most likely over-converged for slugs.