Slugs in Karatay Taktik

omkhan

Hi there,
I own an Akkar Karatay Taktik in 12 GA. Its a turkish gun, bought here in karachi, Pakistan for around 450 USD. Its a smooth bore gun. I want to ask can I shoot slugs from this gun? If yes, what kinda of slugs would be appropriate?

Unfortunately, no user manual came with it + not much info on web. http://gunsphilippines.blogspot.com/2007/10/akkar-karatay-taktik.html has some nice things to say but still not what i am looking for. From net, I have learned that it can be chambered for 2 3/4 as well as 3" shell.

Any one has the experience of this gun btw?

Here r the pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• karatay.jpg
    karatay.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 9,004
  • karatay2.jpg
    karatay2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 8,300

Powderman

Omkhan, the shotgun looks like it has roots in the Remington 870, which is a very well made and durable arm.

You should be able to chamber and fire any 2 3/4 inch or 3 inch slug without problems, as long as the gun is chambered for the 3 inch slug. I recommend the 2 3/4 inch, as the 3 inch slug fired from a pump shotgun can be pretty rough.

.22lr

Stick with 2 3/4" shells till you KNOW

omkhan,
Scrutinize the receiver and barrel for the chamber capability. if you cannot find one then I would recommend that you find a gunsmith who can measure it. It is possible to chamber a shell that is too long / powerful for your shotgun (example being that a 3.5" shell can fit in some 3" chambers, but with possibly disastrous results upon firing.)

I wish you the best of luck.

VR

Matt

rantingredneck

Interesting. It looks like an 870 and a Mossberg 590 mated and produced offspring.

I'll agree that you should stick with 2 3/4 until you know for sure it's chambered for 3".

That being said any 2 3/4" "rifled" slug should work. What choke constriction does it have if any?

omkhan

thanks all for ur replies. No such marking is present on the gun. I just measured the ejection port & it is just a couple of mm short in 3 inch. anyways, I guess 2 3/4 is fine. Dont wanna take any risk.
The gun handles very nicely. I tested it with number 4 birdshot & it spread was 10-14 inch on 15 yards. It has open choke, i believe. Will be on range next weekend again to pattern different loads on different distances.