Slugs for smooth bore shotgun

shafter

Hey,
I've been thinking of taking my shotgun out for deer hunting. What kind of accuracy can I expect from my Browning Field Model? Should I leave the chokes in or take them out? I'm not expecting much beyond 50 yards

zippy13

Do NOT shoot slugs nor shot with the choke tube(s) removed. Try your least constrictive screw-ins with slugs.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
3" groups at 50 yards are quite attainable, but you may have to audition for th best slug.

Audition? Try shooting groups with a couple brands and see if one's a star....

zippy13

Dave, the OP may be talking about a Browning O/U - have you got a feel for how well the barrels will be regulated with slugs -- are we talking about a good sized grapefruit at 50 yds?

rantingredneck

Cyl, IC, or Mod choke.......experiment....

I've had best results with Federal Truball and Brenneke KO. Best results meaning that they've performed well in several guns with different barrels.

Tru Glo and other companies make clip on/bolt on fiber optic sights for vent rib guns. If you can't manage good enough groups at 50 yds with a bead sight this is an inexpensive (20-30 bucks) option for potentially improving groups without having to invest in a sight equipped slug barrel.

shafter

That's good to know. I was wondering about the choke. How does that work though, doesn't the choke make the barrel narrower at the muzzle?

zippy13

Yes, the bore diameter decreases at the choke. Slugs are designed to clear the choke's constriction with no problems. Here's a pic of the KO that Pete recommended. You'll notice the pitched ribs, their purpose is multi-fold: they reduce friction in the barrel and make it easier for the soft lead to squeeze past the choke. Which choke will be the most accurate varies from gun to gun, but it's usually one that's open like Skeet or Imp Cyl.
brennekekopackage.gif

[SIZE=-1]Image courtesy BrennekeUSA[/SIZE]

rantingredneck

As Zippy already said the spiral cut "rifling" in a slug allows it to swage down and fit through the constriction of a choke. Some information out there says it's safe to fire slugs through any choke up to a Full. I have no data to dispute that. I have fired .410 slugs through a fixed full .410 single barrel before. The results left much to be desired, but it didn't damage the gun. I don't think it's something I'd do on a regular basis though.

Cyl, Skeet, IC, up to Mod should be good. Depending on slug brand and barrel you may get better results toward the tighter end of that spectrum or more toward the more open. Most purpose built smoothbore slug barrels are IC choked FWIW.

Again, and as Zippy said early on, DO NOT fire any shotgun shell through your shotgun with your screw in choke removed. That will damage the very fine threads that hold your removable chokes in place.

NightSleeper

Yep, pretty much covered already. I'd recommend Cylinder or Improved Cylinder. You should expect good accuracy at 50 yards, and still well in the kill zone at 100 yards.