Slugs and Chokes non-rifled barrels

themalicious0ne

So i have done in my opinion, too little of researching. I know you use sabot slugs in a rifled barrel for hunting, but if you dont have a slug barrel what type of slugs and chokes should, "are safe" to use. My brother who is currently in Afghanistan on this fine Memorial Day had told me they will just for fun while shooting with their new 870mcs's throw in slugs and buckshot. I thought it would be dangerous to fire slugs out of a full choke, I guess I just assume they could be full, I have no idea. I guess my main question is I need serious, "true" answers about if I have a smooth barrel, what choke should be in to safely shoot what type of slug. Hopefully this makes sense because I am fairly clueless. Thank you so much for your input.

Pahoo

Not a problem

I thought it would be dangerous to fire slugs out of a full choke, I guess I just assume they could be full, I have no idea.

When I first got starter into shooting slugs, all I had available, was a Remington 1100 with a fixed "Full" choke, plain barrel. I only shot the less expensive rifled slugs. Took quite a number of deer with that combo and it was a killing machine. The farthest shot I took, was 80yds, front quarter shot. Most of these hunts were during deer drives. ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:

themalicious0ne

but are they still ok to shoot out of a smoothbore, I heard Sabot and rifled slugs were only supposed to be shot out of a rifled barrel. Are the standard fine then?

Pahoo

Too many generalities !!

Sabots in a smooth bore, are a waste of your money. Rifles slugs or what you are refering to as standard are most suited to smooth bores. Standard in rifled barrels, will give you less performance. .... :rolleyes:

choke is more or less irrelivant
No, I would not say that as it is a factor ..... ;)

Currently using a rifled sight, smooth barrel in IMP and prefer this to my older full choke. .... :cool:

Be Safe !!!

themalicious0ne

Ok so i understand the slugs now. And slugs out of a full choke is dangerous but improved or modified would be better? So is the diameter of a slug bigger than the full choke?

zippy13

I thought it would be dangerous to fire slugs out of a full choke
If it weren't safe to shoot any 12-ga slug out of any modern 12-ga gun, with any choke, the legal departments of the slug manufacturers would be in chaos. That being said, for optimum performance, your gun may be happier with a specific slug and choke combination -- only some serious trigger time will tell.

themalicious0ne

Ive actually read this before in my research. :cool: Like I said though, I guess my main concern is for my tactical shotgun I prefer my full choke. I would assume the military more often use buckshot so i would guess they would like a tighter pattern. My brother is in SF so thats why I would guess they switch between slugs and buck. I asked him what choke he was using and he said it did not matter. I want to know if it "IS" safe to fire out of a full choke, Ive done research and ive heard full is fine and others say it is dangerous?

mete

Rifled slugs should never be fired from a rifled barrel !!! The "rifling" on a rifled slug has nothing to do with rotating the slug ! It was added so that people who insisted in using a slug in a full choke barrel wouldn't damage the barrel !
Sabot slugs are for rifled barrels or for smoothbore with rifled choke.

Doyle

The bigger questions is why would you ever want to use slugs for HD? You handicap yourself WAY too much by doing so. At any HD range, buckshot is the far superior choice.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Full choke is not dangerous but something between IC and IM will give you more accuracy. What you never never never shoot slugs out of is the so called Turkey choke or Super Full choke. That has to much restriction, you want some restriction to get the best accuracy from your slug but super full is just to much.

I find out to 60 yards sabot and rifled slugs, (Brenneke or Foster), out of my rifled slug gun are about the same but the sabot are more accurate at 100 yards. Conversely my rifled slugs out of my IM choked guns at 100 yards shoot more accurately than the expensive sabot slugs from the same guns.

There are a lot of new slugs on the market I have never fired so I can't comment on them but for the last 10 years my Win 1200 with a IM choke will hold 4" at 100 yards from the bench and my shooting stand is set up with a bench to shoot from so it works out well for me. This is a 60 yard target at 60 yards fired offhand as fast as I could work the slide on my scoped 20 gauge. It's better than my rifle sighted 12 gauge with the full choke but not much better.

Pahoo

It's always best to keep it simple !!

Full choke is not dangerous but something between IC and IM will give you more accuracy.

I thank you, You Old Grump .... :D
I must have slipped into my Albanian and confused the OP. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

themalicious0ne

Thank you all so much for the clarification. I really appreciate gaining more knowledge.

P.S. Doyle I would absolutely never use a slug for HD and I dont think I ever mentioned that. I use #4 if need be.