Slug Confusion

seanie

I know absolutely nothing about slugs, but I'm trying to figure out what type to use for my Benelli Super Nova. I have a 28" smooth bore and an 18.5" rifled slug barrel. I'm curious about what slugs to use in what barrels, and what type of application they have. I'm in Illinois and we can't rifle hunt deer. Is there any advantage to using a longer smooth bore barrel over a shorter slug barrel? I also have my Super Nova set up in a more HD manner with the 18.5" barrel, but I have 00 buck shells. Is it a bad thing to fire anything other than slugs out of a slug barrel? Any help is appreciated.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
OOps the rest of the questions...
No the advantage of length is negated by the more accurate rifle type sights or scope and sabot.
The rifled barrel is almost sure to pattern very poorly with any shot size... It spins the wad and it is going to over spread the shot inconsistently.
Only risk with rifled slugs in a smoothbore is if you have a "back bored" barrel...
http://www.grmouthpieces.com/backbore.htm
If back bored the barrel should be roll stamped warning NO SLUGS...
Brent

seanie

Thanks for the quick response Brent. Is there any particular choke to use with slugs in a smooth bore? I would guess a full or negative choke?

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
According to a Mossberg manual, the Imp. Cyl. will produce best results with most slugs.
Cyl. Being cylindrical or no choke at all. I am able to work a 6 inch circle very consistently off hand not trying terrible hard with an 18 inch cyl. bore 20 gauge at 60-75 yards, I am not any better with a 28 inch 12 gauge with mod. choke. But I don't try to improve for farther distance due to heavy cover and too lazy to drag a deer any further than I must:eek:
Brent

inSight-NEO

Is there any particular choke to use with slugs in a smooth bore?

Since you already have a "slug" barrel, why bother with firing slugs out of a smoothbore? Smoothbores are great for HD and short range targets, but for long range use (rifled slugs might be good for up to 100 yards or so)...not so much. It would be my guess that a Sabot fired through a rifled barrel would be more accurate/distance capable vs. a non-Sabot (rifled slug) fired through a smoothbore. But, this is only a guess.

Its interesting to me that your longer barrel is a smoothbore, yet the shorter barrel is rifled. I would think, ideally speaking, it would be the other way around. I was under the impression that the shorter Benelli barrels (18") were of the "defense" variety, thus...smoothbore. Again....interesting.
I also have my Super Nova set up in a more HD manner with the 18.5" barrel, but I have 00 buck shells.

This is my personal setup (when using the Benelli SuperNova Tactical). Of course, I now use a Mossberg 590 for HD. But, I still use 00 Buck (Federal LE Low-Recoil 9 pellet).

Last edited:

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Insight, Likely the gun began life as a "field version". For heavy cover the 18 inch is good. easier to hold on target since less weight out on the end of the fulcrum. Also consider many rifle cartridge guns are not much more barrel. A 12 gauge barrel that is going to be aimed is gonna be a bundle at 28 inches for my wore out shoulders...
Brent

inSight-NEO

I agree. Im just baffled that this guy has a rifled 18" barrel and a smoothbore 28" barrel. From what Ive seen, any Benelli barrel below 24" is a smoothbore or IC barrel at best (IC being an option for the M series shotguns). I own a Benelli SNT, so I have certainly researched this area. Maybe Im somewhat "out of the loop" due to my sole interest in "defense" shotguns, but still.....

inSight-NEO

Good enough. I guess I will just have to wait until the OP pipes in on this issue! ;) It may have been just a typo on his part, who knows? I just have a bad habit of being a stickler when it comes to details. But, if Im wrong I will be the first to admit it. :D