Slug ammo for Mossberg barrel?

Jack O'Conner

I have a chance to hunt whitetails in eastern Pennsylvania this Fall at my USAF buddy's place. He has 20 acres in a "shotgun only" region. He sent me photos of some very impressive bucks.

I can borrow a Mossberg but will have to buy the special slug barrel from Cabela's. My question is this: Anyone had good luck with a certain ammo type and this shotgun? I'm focused upon a good accurate load and don't want to buy a dozen brands to find out which is a keeper.
Jack

Poodleshooter

I've had good luck with full diameter Brenneke type slugs in my Mossberg w/ 24" barrel.
For accuracy,you'll usually get what you pay for.

BigV

I would suggest purchasing a fully rifled slug barrel for your Mossberg. Use Sabot slugs (I prefer Federal 1oz 2 ¾” Sabots) for accuracy up to and beyond 100 yards.

jhgreasemonkey

I have had some bad luck getting my shotguns to shoot slugs acurately. Since you have your hands on a mossburg you might want to consider picking up a rifled slug barrel. Or first you can always spend an afternoon at the range trying different slugs to see what works best. Like the one mentioned above. Since he has a similar gun that seems like a good first choice.

Lee Lapin

Every shotgun barrel is a law unto itself. Best advice (sorry 'bout that) is to get the barrel you plan to use on the gun, buy a five pack of several different brands of slugs, go to the range and see which (if any) the barrel prefers. And they are all different, what works in one won't necessarily work well in the next one off the line.

You didn't mention whether the barrel you plan to buy is rifled or smoothbore, if it's rifled you'll likely want to try sabot slugs and they tend to be more expensive. If it's smoothbore, I've had good luck with every barrel so far (several of them) I have fired Brenneke KO slugs through. Maybe they'll work for you too...

When you install the barrel on the shotgun, be sure to crank down the retaining nut tight- if it's loose, you won't get dependable groups. Shooting a range session of nothing but slugs can be hard on a shooter- I hope this gun fits you properly and your form is good. Whatever you do, don't set yourself up to develop a flinch by overdoing it if it hurts. I prefer to shoot slugs on the range from a supported offhand position, benchresting a shotgun is a bit much for me.

Good luck in Penn's Woods,

lpl/nc

Jack O'Conner

I bought the (ported) rifled Mossberg barrel with scope rail from Cabela's. Planning to mount a 2.5X scope and zero it for 100 yards.

I'll try the FEderal ammo for hunting. I bought a box of WOLF slugs for general shooting just the get the feel of the kick.
Jack