SLR-95 Went Auto Today

amprecon

Luckily I had only two rounds left in the 5-round mag I was using when it happened the first time, after that I'd only load two rounds in it as it happened two more times after that.
The rifle is mostly stock, I replaced the thumbhole furniture with the U.S. made parts kit to include a U.S. made interior part (hammer?). I have also installed the Ultimak rail tube. Other than that the rifle is stock and I have never had this issue before.
I had taken it to the range to sight in the red dot with the wolf 122gr jhp steel-cased rounds only to realize I had brought 123gr fmj's. So I fired about 40 rounds of the fmj's with no problems. I then went home and got the 122gr. jhp's that I plan to use for hunting and returned to the range to sight them in.
I believe it was the second full mag in the 5-round polymer mag I was using, and as I slowly squeezed the trigger two rounds went out before I knew what happened. I stopped and looked around to see if anybody else at the range had noticed as full-auto fire is prohibited. Then I removed the cover, spring, piston/carrier assembly and looked inside. Everything appeared normal and I worked the trigger while holding the hammer to see how things were functioning.
I looked like the hammer could slip past the catch if the trigger was held just right, so as I fired afterwards I conciously and deliberately squeezed the trigger all the way through and it functioned normal. It seemed that when I took my time and squeezed the trigger slowly and felt for the sear to release is when the rifle would go auto. I couldn't tell if that was what was happening or if it was slam-firing.
But anyway I'm not sure what to do with it and feel rather nervous about using it again until this issue is resolved.

Dave R

If you have a relatively light trigger, and you were squeezing slowly, it's possible that recoil made the trigger move against you finger. Since it only happened when you were squeezing slowly, that's my guess. There's a term for it-- bump firing. Some folks do it on purpose to simulate full auto. Do a search on bump firing and you'll find more about it.

I coul be wrong and there could be a mechanical issue, but this possibility is easiest to check and "fix". Just pull the trigger firmly and see if you can make it happen again.

MisterPX

I had an SLR that did that on occasion, end result was the rifle bumpfiring as I held it.

This would be a good opportunity to install a full US trigger group, and touch up on any 922 issues;)