slippery stock

wildcat

Last summer I purchased a ruger inline muzzel loader.I only have one complaint the hardwood stock is slippery.I have thought about checkering it but my experience with checkering hardwood of unknown species has not been good (I am a pretty good hand a checkering wood that checkers well).I have been thinking about some sort of flat black nonslip finish on the grip and forend.Does anyone have any sugestions on how to do this and still leave the original finish intact on the rest of the stock?

zardoz

Go to the hardware store and get a spray can of black Plasti-dip. This is the same rubber coating for dipping tool handles but in a spray application. It can be peeled off if you don't like it.

Since you know about checkering, you may want to consider stippling the pistol grip area in a pleasing pattern and the forearm as well. A stippling punch can be purchased from Brownell's, but a 3/32" nail punch purchased from your local hardware store is quite good at the job. Simply draw with soft lead pencil a pattern around the area to suit your taste and then proceed to hammer the punch lightly and fill the area. With a little practice on a peice of scrap wood you can develop a technique and the job is attractive and very functional as well. Fill the stippled area with linseed oil and let set overnight and it will trun a dark color and gives a nice contrast. Over time with added linseed coatings, the stippled area will become very near black or dark brown at minimum. Just a suggestion.

Mouse Gun

This is just a thought but www.creadmoorsports.com offers "Rifle Grip" a spray on adhesive and residue cleaner to eliminate slippage and I believe the product is translucent. Check their website and see if it's of any interest to you.

Brian

Kernel

I had the same problem with my Ruger. At a sporting goods store I bought a product that came in a tube like tooth paste. It's a waterproof "gripping enhancement". Something a wide receiver might put on his hands to help catch a football. Anyway, it works great, applied to the stock it's invisible, it don't wash or rub off (a solvent, like Hoppes, will remove it), and I think that one tube will last me two lifetimes. -- Kernel