slip 2000??

old fart

i went to my local gun store today and they had bottles of this gun oil on sale, is it a good gun oil? thanks

wogpotter

Yeah its good stuff. Completely synthetic no petroleum products at all. You can even use it for B/P without it gumming & varnishing like most gun oils do.

jhenry

I have used the Slip 2000 carbon cleaner and found that it works well. It has not replaced my Hoppes #9, but it does work. I have used the Slip 2000 lube with good success. I see one poster had a bad experience in low temps, so that may be the case. I have not used it in very low temperatures.

orionengnr

If it is not petroleum based, it is...what? water based? Alcohol based? Vegetable oil based? But if it is not petroleum or veggie-oil based, it is water soluable (this includes citrus cleaners).

Water can freeze, and cause corrosion.
Alcohol is difficult to freeze, but readily absorbs water (see above).
Veggie oil....depends what it is mixed with.

Website says it is "synthetic". This is a bit of a catch-all--Mobile 1 is "synthetic", but it is petroleum based. Until you know what it is actually made of, we are all spitting in the wind.

ClydeFrog

Give em the Slip, LPX weaponshield, Ballistol...

The Slip 2000 line has been on sale for about 15/16 years to my knowledge.
It's sold online and in a few gun catalogs/retail places. www.Brownells.com
I never used the product but heard a lot of + reviews or remarks. It's orange based, CFC free and non toxic. :)
I'd lean towards the great Ballistol, the Mpro7 LPX; www.mpro7.com Eezox or maybe Weaponshield. www.Weaponshield.com
Any high quality CLP can clean or lube your firearms.

mes227

If it is not petroleum based, it is...what? water based? Alcohol based? Vegetable oil based? But if it is not petroleum or veggie-oil based, it is water soluable (this includes citrus cleaners).

Non-petroleum oil doesn't mean water- or veggie- or alchohol-based. It means synthetically produced oil. Which can simply be chemcially-modified petroleum (most common), or a complete departure from petroleum hydrocarbons (like teflon-, silicone- and moly-based compounds, none of which are water soluble). Vegetable oil is definitely not a synthetic lubricant but is used as a natural lube, and is also not water soluble. Generally speaking synthetic lubricants have better tolerance for temperature extremes since the oils can be "designed" for any range of performance desired.

wogpotter

I spoke with the owner at a gunshow a while back he assured me that it had none as in zero, nada, bupkis petroleum products in it. What the synthetic is I don't know. I do know that it doesn't produce the "black shellac" stuff that a lot of petroleum-based lubes do when using black powder.

I have used this stuff outdoors in winter with temps lower than I was comfortable in & it didn't freeze or thicken to the point it caused problems, but I'm not a lover of cold & I don't live where we experience extreme low temps, just below freezing is about it round here so colder than that I can't speak for.