Sling With Shell Loops

Auto426

I just purchased an 870 Express that I plan on using as a home defense gun. The only thing I want to do to it is attach a sling, and I want a sling that has loops sewn in for holding extra shells.

I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to accessories, so I'm looking for some recommendations on a product that won't fall apart as soon as you try to stick some shells in the loops. Any help would be appreciated.

MagnumWill

I wouldn't be so worried about the sling coming apart or the rounds coming out of it- it's kind of a pain to get them out, actually- you'll need to hold the gun with one hand, hold the sling with another, and remove the shell with your third hand :rolleyes: sure, they look cool but in a HD situation, I think you'll be much happier with a side saddle on the gun, if you're concerned about round count. I keep five in my 590a1, and I figure if I need more than that, I've caused enough ruckus to wake the entire county :)

So tell you the truth, I would go get a nice comfortable sling that you're happy with, and let the saddle take care of the rest.

Nnobby45

Don't like the thought of the extra weight hanging below the shotgun, maybe swinging around, and unbalancing things, or moving the muzzle off target.
Don't know for sure, haven't used one.

Mag Will also makes a point. Spare ammo should have the advantage of easy and fast access. That's the whole point of the side saddle. The sling with ammo loops seems more like a marketing gimmick, or maybe certain hunting applications where speed isn't a requirement.

Nnobby45

Don't like the thought of the extra weight hanging below the shotgun, maybe swinging around, and unbalancing things, or moving the muzzle off target.
Don't know for sure, haven't used one.

Mag Will also makes a point. Spare ammo should have the advantage of easy and fast access. That's the whole point of the side saddle. The sling with ammo loops seems more like a marketing gimmick, or maybe certain hunting applications where speed isn't a requirement.

Still don't like that extra weight down there. You swing the gun, the sling is going to swing with that weight on it. Not for me.

Gehrhard

All correct so far.

That loaded sling is a heavy pendulum! If you want extra ammo on board, which isn't the worst idea, see if you can put a Speed-Feed +4 stock on it (holds four spare hulls in the stock) and/or a sidesaddle. Ah, imagine a nice 590 with 8 + 1 + 4 + 6 = 19.

kmaysob

when i was at bass pro the other day i saw a 870 magazine extension. iirc it would would increase capacity to 9 shots