(Slightly OT) Looking for a SUV to get me to the range....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadrunner

I've got too much stuff to carry when I go to the range. I have a hard time fitting my rifle and handgun cases, ammo, and all the other items in my Acura Integra. My wife will keep the Integra, but I could use your assistance with recommendations (pro or con) on the following used SUVs I'm looking at:

(1999 - 2002 models)
Ford Expedition
Ford Explorer
Toyota 4Runner

The Expedition barely fits in my garage, leaving little room between it and the shelving. I'm leaning towards the 4Runner, but haven't made up my mind. I've been looking on CarMax and Autobytel.com to get an idea of prices.

If you have or had any of these, what did you like and dislike? Did you add any extras (new bumper w/winch, skid plates, lift kits, suspension)? Thanks.

C.R.Sam

Have E350 Club Wagon. Can reload in it, sleep in it, haul small cars or boat in it, knarly tires for desert and mountain work, step bumpers with winch mounts either end for WHEN I get stuck. 40 gal fresh water, rations and bedding. It doesn't like garages.

Sam

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Before this gets closed as off-topic, let me note that a Swiss M96/11 does not fit in the trunk of a Z3 roadster... ;)

garrettwc

I used to work for a dealer that had a Ford/Toyota franchise all in one. Of the three you listed, get the 4Runner. Lower overall maitenance costs, better resale value, and with what you save on gas vs. the Expedition you can buy a couple more cases of ammo:D:D

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
Here in Utah, getting to the Range can be a serious issue.

Our favorite spot demands a 4X4 to get to. Even with a new route, one car still didn't make it.

I'm a fan of Jeeps. I think the Cherokee is one of the best vehicles - Ever.

Dave R

Rented an Expedition. Geez, its hard to drive/park/maneuver that thing. I guess you would get used to it if you did it every day.

Rented an Explorer several times. Terrible on-pavement ride. A real buckboard.

Went on a long road trip in a buddy's 4-Runner. Nice. Ride was kinda stiff, but not nearly as bad as the Explorer.

Rented a Jeep Cherokee. Pretty nice. Good blend of on-road/off-road ride.

FYI, the rental that had the nicest blend of on-road/off-road ride was the Chevy Blazer/GMC Jimmy. May be too small for you, though.

Ian,

Give me a shout, and I'll let you look over/drive my Subaru Legacy Outback.

Not as big as the true SUVs, gets better gas mileage, all wheel drive, very comfortable, and a lot of cargo room.

I had a 98 Montero Sport with the 3.0 V6 and auto trans. It was our daily driver to work and we put 108,000 miles on it in 3 years. Did nothing to it except regular maintenance, 1 set of tires, replaced the battery and front brake pads. Gave 20 miles to the gallon running 80 - 85 mph on the highway. My only complaint was the ride. It is definately a truck, very stiff suspension. A friend has a 98 4Runner, V6, auto trans, top of the line model. Has had no mechanical problems either. I have went on extended trips with him and it rides much better than my Montero. The Ford Explorer rides a little better than my Montero but not as good as the 4Runner. The 4Runner will have a better re-sale value than the others listed.

ENC

I'd go for the four-runner with a V-6

the four cylinder is a bit wimpy

Four-runners are nice I have never been impressed with the 4x4 in any Ford product.

Me I 'll still own my 1980 blazer when I meet my maker.

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
I've had a Suburban for almost 10 years. I love it, my wife loves, it, my kids (4 of em) love it, my Rotty loves it.

No major problems with it and it has been cross country twice, up and down the east coast (NY-FL) more then a few times and down the Alcan from Alaska to Florida once.

Only problem is is that it has right at 250,000 miles and the engine could use a re-build (and up graded with multi-port Injection and a blower. :cool: )

coonan357

oh do what we did , we bought a beater used bronco , that way you don't have to worry about the paint when that branch appears out of nowhere , so far the Bronco From Heck has cost us about 800 dollars, most of that is in tires , but the mechanicals are holding up and it gets beat . and it goes anywhere and the v-8 400 can pull a house down too.

BenW

From the text in your post, it sounds like you mean the 4x4 version of the gunmobiles you listed (if it's a gunmobile, how can it be off topic?:)). Out of those, much as I like to buy American, I would have to go for the Toyota. The Explorer now has independent front and rear suspension -- a bad combo in my opinion for an offroad vehicle. I stopped buying Ford 4x4s in protest when they stopped making Broncos.

My current 4x4, is the Isuzu Trooper, which I would HIGHLY recommend except that starting in '03 they are making them domestically (in the US only as the Ascender) of GM parts, so I think quality will go downhill.

If I had to get a new 4by based on the current offerings, I'd probably lean toward the 4-runner for guts and dependability.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
This just happened today:

Driving my cherokee down the freeway. Tire blowout. The Jeep was kicked sideways but I recovered it easily. The thing is stable. It's a rock.
Anyways, I get home... On the porch is a box addressed to me. From JEEP.
It's a Jeep brand gym bag. They sent it out to me because back when I had a job I test drove a Liberty.

Funny.

BTW, the Liberty was NICE. Loved it. If I had the bills I'd have one. Supposed to be the replacement for the Cherokee. I don't know. Maybe. But I think the Cherokee is a Classic. 4.0 - I want one. Mine is a 2.5, not as quick but it gets me there. Anywhere. Not bad for an 86 with 200,000 miles.

Azrael256

Go with the Toyota. The oil filter is a bitch to change, being behind the wheel and all, but the fords are much worse. The explorer switched from the manly truck suspension (which is why all of you complain about it's ride) to an independent setup that removes all of the ground clearance the ford was famous for (although it is MUCH more comfortable). The expedition is basically an F-150 with a top on it, so why not just buy an F-150? I would avoid new fords like the plague for the time being. In their smaller V8's, like the 281, they have gone to a 5w20 oil to save gas. If you put 5w20 in an engine designed for something else, it will explode. I can put 10w30 in a 5w30 engine, and I might lose 10 feet of it's mileage capability, so an oil that is totally incompatible with other engines makes me nervous. You *can* switch from 5w20 to 5w30, but they don't recommend it, in fact, on hondas that use 5w20, it can void your warranty to do so, even though it will increase the heat range you can run. Time will tell on 5w20, but I wouldn't want to be the first one to find out that it's no good.

The older style bronco is a pretty good choice, if it's big enough for you. You will be amazed at the availability of aftermarket parts and accessories, as well as replacement parts. Not just drivetrain parts, either, I mean body panels, suspension parts, even interior.

Ford has also had MAJOR transmission problems in some of their models. In the Explorer with the 4.0L V6, they have an absoutely horrid clutch setup that they can't seem to fix, and all of their 4x4 gearboxes seem to fall off the truck at the most inconvenient times. Their older transmissions, like for the 302 and 351 (which is the same for most 302/351 setups) are reliable and simple to maintain (buddy of mine has 120k on a tranny with no fulid change, no filter change, and no problems, not even a tiny leak), but then you face the question of wether or not you want a big honkin' V8 for a job that a V6 can do.

The Toyota is, in my opinion, not as nice as the ford as far as comfort (seats aren't as comfy, controls seem like they were added as an afterthought, etc.), and all japanese cars have parts mechanics refer to as "magical" (parts that seem to serve no purpose, but are vital to operation), but they seem to be reliable (I saw VERY few toyotas in the shop for anything more than maintenance), and their maintenance is relatively easy, since they use V6es with smaller components so they don't fill up the engine compartment like Ford's V8's and large V6es (try working on a 302 crammed into an explorer! yes, they actually built those at the factory).

A lot of people have mentioned Jeeps... Jeeps are some of the most reliable vehicles on the road. Why, you may ask, do so many people have horrible transmission problems? I have yet to meet a single person (who wasn't a mechanic of some sorts) who actually knows the maintenance schedule for any chrysler product. Jeeps all require frequent transmission service (in the 12,000 to 15,000 mile range). It's a bit expensive to have your differentials and gearbox flushed every year, but they really will last forever if you do it, and their inline 6 is... well, have you ever seen a BAD inline 6? The Liberty is a neat-looking SUV, but stay away from them for a couple of years. They've had 4 or 5 major recalls thus far, so I would wait until they get all the kinks worked out of it. Other than that, it looks like a good product.

Blazers are another option, but not if you're looking for a new vehicle. Newer GM cars and trucks come with this absolutely awful coolant called Dex-cool. It's GM's attempt to copy Toyota's non-silicated coolant (ever wonder why it's red?). I don't know what they were thinking, because it will turn into georgia clay well under the 100,000 mile maintenance interval that GM specifies (if you own one, ignore the 100,000 and change it every 30,000 like you would with any other car). Older blazers are a good idea, especially if you can get the old pickup-truck with a camper top style. They come with GM's 350 and... well... it's a 350, 'nuff said. Suburbans are also an option, but you said the expedition would just barely fit, so...

Well, hope this helps. Good luck :)

k77/22rp

Dec28_1.jpg

ULTIMATE RANGE MACHINE

and cheap too! only 6,500 at www.armyjeeps.net lots of cool toys there.

Cain R

ANY Toyota SUV.

400,000 Km on our '95 4-Runner. Original clutch, tranny, and engine.

The only repairs have been, brakes, tires, shocks and wiper blades, and a oil pressure sender unit repaired under warrenty.

coonan357

I don't know what your doing to your dex cool azreal , but I hauled the stuff when they first started using it in 96 and my 96 3500 series with a 7.4 l with 89K on the clock has not had any problems with it , I took a sample of it to the plant where they make it and the chemist checked it it was A ok and with in spec ! this plant also makes the toyota low silicate A/F I have never heard a problem with this stuff yet . and my truck sees temps from -15 to 105 degrees and towed a 10 K trailer for a summer or two .

Status
Not open for further replies.